Saturday, June 13, 2015

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)


"When things get bad, they'll do their worst."


Directed by James Gunn
Produced by Kevin Feige
Written by James Gunn, Nicole Perlman
Based on "Guardians of the Galaxy" by Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning
Starring: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan, Djimon Hounsou, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close, Benicio del Toro
Music by Tyler Bates
Cinematography: Ben Davis
Edited by Fred Raskin, Craig Wood, Hughes Winborne
Production company: Marvel Studios
Distributed by Walt Disney Studios, Motion Pictures
Release date: 31 July 2014 (Russia)
Running time: 122 minutes
Country: United States, United Kingdom
Budget: $195.9 million
Box office: $774.2 million


"Guardians of the Galaxy" is an action science fiction adventure film directed by James Gunn and based on the Marvel Comics superhero team of the same name. It tells the story of cosmic misfits in whose control is a powerful artifact.What will they do with it?


Cast
  • Chris Pratt as Peter Quill / Star-Lord
  • Zoe Saldana as Gamora
  • Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer
  • Vin Diesel as Groot
  • Bradley Cooper as Rocket
  • Lee Pace as Ronan the Accuser
  • Michael Rooker as Yondu Udonta
  • Karen Gillan as Nebula
  • Djimon Hounsou as Korath
  • John C. Reilly as Corpsman Rhomann Dey
  • Glenn Close as Nova Prime Irani Rael
  • Benicio del Toro as Taneleer Tivan / The Collector


Yes, I must confess: I'd taken a jaundiced view of Marvel films. Why? I'm a fan of retrospective DC Comics. However "Guardians of the Galaxy" made me change my point of view in respect of Marvel pictures: they can be witty, exciting, may have a well-made plot, fantastic soundtracks and not cheap characters.

As for the cast, the film let me list Chris Pratt for my favourite actors. His character turned out interesting, reckless and honourable, his dances were impressive and all those made me be in sympathy with Star-Lord. Magnificent Zoe Saldana as Gamora kept in suspense till the end: seemed she was ready to attack at any moment. Vin Diesel's voice pronounced only four words during the whole film but it didn't underestimate importance of his character. And, of course, I can't forget about Bradley Cooper: I enjoyed each sentence of Rocket as his dialogues were absolutely amazing!


Advantages
  • Chris Pratt as Peter Quill / Star-Lord
  • Zoe Saldana as Gamora
  • Bradley Cooper as Rocket
  • Music
  • Good humour
  • Dancing Chris Pratt
  • The scene with Star-Lord and Gamora in outside space is one of not many (as the film is a space opera) which takes place in real life

Disadvantages
  • Why nobody except Guardians can defeat Ronan?
  • Benicio del Toro's part is too small

"Strangenesses"
  • The film is a little bit similar to the Staw Wars film series

Clue Moments
  • Finding a mysterious sphere
  • The escape from prison
  • The fight with Ronan
  • Groot's sacrifice


Soundtracks
  1. Blue Swede - Hooked On A Feeling
  2. Raspberries - Go All The Way
  3. Norman Greenbaum - Spirit In The Sky
  4. David Bowie - Moonage Daydream
  5. Elvin Bishop - Fooled Around And Fell In Love
  6. 10cc - I'm Not In Love
  7. The Jackson 5 - I Want You Back
  8. Redbone - Come And Get Your Love
  9. The Runaways - Cherry Bomb
  10. Rupert Holmes - Escape (The Piña Colada Song)
  11. Five Stairsteps - O-O-H Child
  12. Marvin Gaye feat. Tammi Terrell - Ain't No Mountain High Enough


Quotations
* * *
Groot: I am Groot.
Peter Quill: Well that's just as fascinating as the first 89 times you told me that. What is wrong with Giving Tree here?
Rocket Raccoon: Well he don't know talkin' good like me and you, so his vocabulistics is limited to "I" and "am" and "Groot," exclusively in that order.
Peter Quill: Well I tell you what, that's gonna wear real thin, real fast, bud.
* * *
Groot: I am Groot.
* * *
Drax the Destroyer: Where did you learn to do that?
Peter Quill: I'm pretty sure the answer is: "I am Groot".
* * *
Peter Quill: I have a plan.
Rocket Raccoon: You've got a plan? Okay, first of all, you're copying me from when I said I had a plan.
Peter Quill: I'm not copying you, I have a plan, that's not that unique of a thing to say.
Rocket Raccoon: And secondly, I don't think you even have a plan.
Peter Quill: I have part of a plan.
Drax the Destroyer: What percentage of a plan do you have?
Gamora: You don't get to ask questions after the nonsense you pulled on Knowhere!
Drax the Destroyer: I just saved Quill!
Peter Quill: We've already established that you destroying the ship I'm on is not saving me!
Drax the Destroyer: When did we establish that?
Peter Quill: Like three seconds ago!
Drax the Destroyer: Well I wasn't listening then, I was thinking of something else...
Rocket Raccoon: She's right, you don't get an opinion... What percentage?
Peter Quill: I dunno... Twelve percent?
Rocket Raccoon: Twelve percent?
[starts laughing]
Peter Quill: That's a fake laugh.
Rocket Raccoon: It's real!
Peter Quill: Totally fake!
Rocket Raccoon: That is the most real, authentic, hysterical laugh of my entire life because THAT IS NOT A PLAN!
Gamora: It's barely a concept.
* * *
Rocket Raccoon: But Quill, beating Ronan... it can't be done. You're asking us to die.
Peter Quill: Yeah... I guess I am.
[pause]
Gamora: [stands up] Quill, I have lived most of my life surrounded my enemies. I will be grateful to die among my friends.
Drax the Destroyer: [stands up] You're an honorable man, Quill. I will fight beside you. And in the end, I will see my wife and daughter.
Groot: [stands up] I am Groot.
Rocket Raccoon: Aww, what the hell, I don't got that long a lifespan anyway...
[stands up]
Rocket Raccoon: Well now I'm standing. Happy? We're all standing now. Bunch of jackasses, standing in a circle.
* * *
Gamora: I know who you are, Peter Quill, and I am not some starry-eyed waif here to succumb to your... your pelvic sorcery!
* * *
Drax the Destroyer: Finger on throat means death!
[kills Korath]
Drax the Destroyer: Metaphor.
Peter Quill: ...Sort of.
* * *
Rocket Raccoon: That's for if things get really hardcore. Or if you wanna blow up moons.
Gamora: No one's blowing up moons.
Rocket Raccoon: You just wanna suck the joy out of everything.
* * *
Peter Quill: What should we do next: Something good, something bad? Bit of both?
Gamora: We'll follow your lead, Star-Lord.
Peter Quill: A bit of both!
* * *
Rocket Raccoon: He thinks I'm some stupid thing! He does!
[points to Drax]
Rocket Raccoon: Well, I didn't ask to get made!
Rocket Raccoon: I didn't ask to be torn apart and put back together over and over and turned into some little monster!
[begins to cry]
* * *
Rocket Raccoon: Why would you want to save the galaxy?
Peter Quill: Because I'm one of the idiots who lives in it!
* * *
Peter Quill: I can't believe I got taken down by a raccoon...
Rocket Raccoon: Raccoon? What's a raccoon?
Peter Quill: You are! I've seen many of them, like you, on Earth!
Rocket Raccoon: Ain't no thing like me, except me!
* * *
Gamora: You should have learned.
Peter Quill: I don't learn. One of my issues.
* * *
Peter Quill: I come from Earth, a planet of outlaws. My name is Peter Quill. There's one other name you may know me by. Star-Lord.
* * *
Ronan: The Xandorians and your culture are a disease.
Sacrifice Nova Corpsman: You will never rule Xandar.
Ronan: No. I will cure it!
* * *
You may see the trailer here.


Plot: 8/10
Entertainment: 9/10
Acting: 8/10
Originality: 7/10
Music and Sound: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment