Sunday, June 21, 2015

Chris Pratt


Christopher Michael "Chris" Pratt

21 June 1979


An American actor. Pratt dropped out of a local community college halfway through the first semester and, after working as a discount ticket salesman and a daytime stripper, he ended up homeless in Maui, sleeping in a van and in a tent on the beach. Chris Pratt was waiting tables at the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company restaurant in Maui when the 19-year-old was discovered by actress and director Rae Dawn Chong. She cast him in her directorial debut, the short horror film "Cursed Part 3", which was filmed in Los Angeles.
In 2009, Pratt began playing the dimwitted but lovable Andy Dwyer on the NBC comedy series "Parks and Recreation". Originally meant to be a temporary character, Andy was so likable that producers asked Pratt back as a series regular. This led to the character being written much more sympathetically at the start of season two. Pratt portrayed Oakland Athletics first baseman/catcher Scott Hatteberg in the 2011 film "Moneyball". He was initially told that he was too fat to play Hatteberg, as he had gained 40 lbs, which Pratt attributed to the cooking of his then-girlfriend and now-wife, actress Anna Faris. 
He gained the weight he had lost to appear in the film "10 Years", then lost it again to portray a Navy SEAL in the film "Zero Dark Thirty". In 2013, Pratt initially turned down the opportunity to play Peter Quill / Star-Lord in Marvel Studios' "Guardians of the Galaxy", explaining that he did not "want another Captain Kirk or Avatar moment". The film's casting director, Sarah Finn, suggested Pratt to director James Gunn, who had struggled to cast that role and dismissed the idea. Despite this, Finn arranged for a meeting between the two, at which point Gunn was immediately convinced that Pratt was perfect for the role. 


As actor
  • Cursed Part 3 (2000)
  • The Huntress (2001)
  • Everwood (2002-2006)
  • The Extreme Team (2003)
  • Path of Destruction (2005)
  • Strangers with Candy (2005)
  • The O.C. (2006-2007)
  • Walk the Talk (2007)
  • Wieners (2008)
  • The Batman (2008)
  • Wanted (2008)
  • Bride Wars (2009)
  • Deep in the Valley (2009)
  • Jennifer's Body (2009)
  • Parks and Recreation (2009-2015)
  • Take Me Home Tonight (2011)
  • Moneyball (2011)
  • What's Your Number? (2011)
  • 10 Years (2011)
  • The Five-Year Engagement (2012)
  • Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
  • Movie 43 (2013)
  • Mr. Payback (2013)
  • Delivery Man (2013)
  • Her (2013)
  • The Lego Movie (2014)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
  • Jurassic World (2015)
  • Jem and the Holograms (2015)
  • The Magnificent Seven (2016)
  • Passengers (2016)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
  • Avengers: Infinity War (2018)


Quotations
* * *
You know, I just tend to grow my beard out for 'Parks and Rec.' As an actor it's always easier to shave or cut your hair for a role, but it's hard to put fake hair on or grow hair for a role. When you look at pictures of me, the longer my hair is, the longer my facial hair is, that's just the longer I haven't gotten a job.
* * *
The key is just to ignore the pain, because physical comedy only works if you see someone get hurt and they aren't actually hurt. If someone gets hit in the face with a bat, falls down, and gets back up, it's funny. If they stay down and their jaw is wired shut in the next scene, it's really tragic and weird. You have to pretend it doesn't hurt.
* * *
I know this may come as a shock to most of you, but I've decided to quit acting. I will not be auditioning for anything anymore, and if I get offered something like a role in a movie or a commercial or something, I will graciously turn it down. It's been great, but it's just not for me anymore.
* * *
Being in good physical shape is the best way to combat depression. You just have endorphins running around your body. It is the best anti-depressive that there is.
* * *
The only way physical comedy works is if you don't see it coming. And the harder the fall, the funnier it is. You have to really take some shots, and I've walked away with some bumps and bruises.
* * *
Just be comfortable with who you are.
* * *
With comedy, it's a combination of knowing the comedic beat was good - it made you laugh, it made people on the crew laugh. With drama, you do something deep and if your stuff was really effective, the ultimate result is silence. Silence is not necessarily... that would also be the result if you sucked.
* * *
I have a lot of plants and fish and a pet lizard and Venus flytraps. I have a whole ecosystem in my room, like a running waterfall and different lights and sensors set on digital timers.
* * *
You can pour melted ice cream on regular ice cream. It's like a sauce!
* * *
There's nothing funnier than a giant, grown man rollerblading.
* * *
It's interesting - I always thought when I was doing more melodramatic stuff like 'Everwood' that the directors were constantly reeling me in and stopping me from being funny.
* * *
I have some weird habits. For instance, I love beets. Show me a salad bar and I will clean them out of their beets.
* * *
You get to a point where you have to start planning, when you cross that line where you have enough value to get someone's movie made if you attach yourself to it, you have to be very thoughtful and have to plan. When you're starting out, you're willing to do anything.
* * *
I love 'Capote.' Huge fan of Philip Seymour Hoffman; if he's not my all-time favorite actor he's definitely in my top five. I just love him so much.
* * *
As long as I keep getting cast, I don't care if it's typecast.
* * *
I've always been a little soft. I like to eat.
* * *
My favorite way to blow off steam is to sing obnoxiously loud in the shower.
* * *
I was an athlete growing up. I was a wrestler, I played football, so I can take a fall. I actually wanted to be a stuntman when I was kid, so I would practice falling down the stairs. It's just something I like to do.
* * *
I primarily have had my career in comedy, and that is something that I have never been too concerned about because I know there is really no room for vanity in comedy. Comedy comes from pain and it is a lot easier to empathize with somebody who is out of shape.
* * *
A friend bought me a plane ticket to Hawaii, which is where I got discovered and became an actor, so I guess a friend bought me a winning lottery ticket.
* * *
Celebrity is intoxicating.
* * *
I like to do 'Garfield Mondays': lasagna and napping in a box.
* * *
To go to the Oscars for 'Moneyball' - that was pretty amazing.
* * *
Some people fast, some people go on a cruise or visit a day spa. I get out in the woods with a rifle or a bow. That's my release.
* * *
My first in, my first break, was I met a director and got to talking with her, and she happened to be casting this movie that she had written. That was ten years ago. That got me to Hollywood. I got paid $700 bucks.
* * *
When you're working with film, you can only shoot one angle at a time, and then everything has to stop, and you re-light it and shoot everything else from the opposite side, so it's really important that you stick exactly to what's written.
* * *
I'm still fighting really hard to get any role I get. If it's comedy, I go for the laughs. And if it's drama, I try to tell the truth, and try to play the real stakes of whatever scenario the character's in.
* * *
I'd love to work with Steve Martin. I'd love to work with Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd.
* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment