Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Alice in Wonderland (2010)


"You're invited to a very important date 3/5/10"


Directed by Tim Burton
Produced by Richard D. Zanuck, Joe Roth, Suzanne Todd, Jennifer Todd
Screenplay by Linda Woolverton
Based on "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking-Glass" by Lewis Carroll
Starring: Johnny Depp, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter, Crispin Glover, Matt Lucas, Mia Wasikowska, Alan Rickman, Stephen Fry, Michael Sheen, Timothy Spall
Music by Danny Elfman
Cinematography: Dariusz Wolski
Edited by Chris Lebenzon
Production companies: Walt Disney Pictures, Roth Films, The Zanuck Company, Team Todd
Distributed by Walt Disney Studios, Motion Pictures
Release date: 5 March 2010 (United States)
Running time: 108 minutes
Country: United States
Budget: $200 million
Box office: $1.025 billion

"Alice in Wonderland" is an adventure fantasy film directed by Tim Burton from a screenplay written by Linda Woolverton, based on Lewis Carroll's fantasy novels, The story is about Alice, a nineteen-year-old girl, who returns to her Wonderland in order to save her old friends from the Red Queen's reign of terror.


Cast
  • Mia Wasikowska as Alice Kingsleigh
  • Mairi Ella Challen as young Alice
  • Johnny Depp as Tarrant Hightopp, The Mad Hatter
  • Helena Bonham Carter as Iracebeth of Crims, the Red Queen
  • Anne Hathaway as Mirana of Marmoreal, the White Queen
  • Crispin Glover as Ilosovic Stayne, the Knave of Hearts
  • Matt Lucas as Tweedledee and Tweedledum
  • Frances de la Tour as Imogene, Alice's aunt
  • Leo Bill as Hamish Ascot, the would-be fiancé of Alice
  • Michael Sheen as Nivens McTwisp, the White Rabbit
  • Alan Rickman as Absolem, the Caterpillar
  • Stephen Fry as Cheshire, the Cheshire Cat
  • Barbara Windsor as Mallymkun, the Dormouse
  • Paul Whitehouse as Thackery Earwicket, the March Hare
  • Timothy Spall as Bayard, the Bloodhound
  • Christopher Lee as the Jabberwocky


Tim Burton, madness, beauty? It should be a masterpiece. Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter? The dream team. Alice in Wonderland? Hm...

After 13 years Alice Kingsleigh returns in her Wonderland while trying to escape from the unhappy reality. And what do you think can happen? Something like "let the madness begin"? Here comes the disappointment.

I still believe that Tim Burton is a mastermind of colours and Gothic art but I must be honest: "Alice in Wonderland" isn't his best work; however, it's impossible to say anything bad about the visualization which is outstanding (as it's Burton). As for the plot, there are many problems which make it trivial, but the biggest one is the history of Wonderland. What has happened? Who is the Red Queen? Why the White Queen can do anything with her? So many questions, so few answers.

As for the cast which consists of well-known names, performances can drive a viewer crazy and not only in a good way: honest but always screaming Iracebeth, insane Johnny Depp the Mad Hatter, extraordinary but distracted Alice, goody goody Mirana with dark secrets. All of them can be liked and annoying at the same time and that makes characters ambiguous.

The main disadvantage for me is the fact that "Alice in Wonderland" didn't turn out as mad and crazy as I'd thought. Yes, there are many unusual for the real world insane attributes like false parts of the body or talking frogs, but in essence it is not madness. Probably I'm wrong and just too addicted to "American McGee’s Alice", however that's the way I see it - not crazy enough.


Advantages
  • Tim Burton
  • Music
  • Visualiztion
  • Mia Wasikowska as Alice Kingsleigh
  • Johnny Depp as Tarrant Hightopp
  • Helena Bonham Carter as Iracebeth of Crims
  • Michael Sheen as Nivens McTwisp
  • Alan Rickman as Absolem
  • Stephen Fry as Cheshire
  • Christopher Lee as the Jabberwocky

Disadvantages
  • Beautiful but empty

"Strangenesses"
  •  Not mad enough
  • Seems like Alice is too naive for her 19 years old

Clue Moments
  • The death of Alice's father
  • The garden party
  • The large rabbit hole
  • "The right Alice"
  • The tea party
  • Alice as the Red Queen's guest
  • the Vorpal Sword
  • the White Queen's castle
  • Jabberwocky
  • the appointed day
  • Back in England
  • Absolem


Soundtracks
  1. Danny Elfman - Alice's Theme
  2. Danny Elfman - Little Alice 
  3. Danny Elfman - Proposal - Down the Hole 
  4. Danny Elfman - Doors
  5. Danny Elfman - Drink Me
  6. Danny Elfman - Into the Garden
  7. Danny Elfman - Alice Reprise #1
  8. Danny Elfman - Bandersnatched
  9. Danny Elfman - Finding Absolem 
  10. Danny Elfman - Alice Reprise #2 
  11. Danny Elfman - The Cheshire Cat
  12. Danny Elfman - Alice and Bayard's Journey
  13. Danny Elfman - Alice Reprise #3 
  14. Danny Elfman - Alice Escapes 
  15. Danny Elfman - The White Queen 
  16. Danny Elfman - Only a Dream 
  17. Danny Elfman - The Dungeon 
  18. Danny Elfman - Alice Decides
  19. Danny Elfman - Alice Reprise #4 
  20. Danny Elfman - Going to Battle
  21. Danny Elfman - The Final Confrontation 
  22. Danny Elfman - Blood of the Jabberwocky
  23. Danny Elfman - Alice Returns 
  24. Danny Elfman - Alice Reprise #5
  25. Avril Lavigne - Alice (Underground)


Quotations
* * *
The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
[Alice checks Hatter's temperature]
Alice Kingsley: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.
* * *
Alice Kingsley: Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
The Mad Hatter: That is an excellent practice.
* * *
The Mad Hatter: [to Alice] You used to be much more..."muchier." You've lost your muchness.
* * *
Alice Kingsley: I try to believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast. Count them, Alice. One, there are drinks that make you shrink. Two, there are foods that make you grow. Three, animals can talk. Four, cats can disappear. Five, there is a place called Underland. Six, I can slay the Jabberwocky.
* * *
Alice Kingsley: I'm sorry, Hamish. I can't marry you. You're not the right man for me. And there's that trouble with your digestion.
[Alice walks over to her sister]
Alice Kingsley: I love you, Margaret, but this is my life. I'll decide what to do with it.
[Alice turns to Lowell, meeting his sour look with a stern glare]
Alice Kingsley: You're lucky to have my sister for your wife, Lowell, and be good to her. I'll be watching very closely.
[Alice goes up to Aunt Imogene and takes her hands]
Alice Kingsley: There is no prince, Aunt Imogene. You need to talk to someone about these delusions.
[Alice walks past Lady Ascot, looking sternly at her]
Alice Kingsley: I happen to love rabbits, especially white ones.
[Alice goes up to her mother]
Alice Kingsley: Don't worry, Mother. I'll find something useful to do with my life.
[Alice turns to the Chattaway sisters]
Alice Kingsley: You two remind me of some funny boys I met in a dream.
Lord Ascot: You've left me out.
Alice Kingsley: No, I haven't, sir. You and I have business to discuss.
Lord Ascot: Shall we speak in the study?
[Alice smiles and starts to head to the house, when suddenly she turns back to the crowd]
Alice Kingsley: Oh. And one more thing.
[Alice lifts the hem of her dress to her knees and does the Futterwacken]
* * *
Alice Kingsley: This is impossible.
The Mad Hatter: Only if you believe it is.
* * *
The Mad Hatter: Your carriage, my lady.
Alice Kingsley: A hat?
The Mad Hatter: Of course. Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat. Have I made a rhyme?
* * *
White Queen: Alice, you cannot live your life to please others. The choice must be yours, because when you step out to face that creature, you will step out alone.
* * *
Alice Kingsley: From the moment I fell down that rabbit hole I've been told where I must go and who I must be. I've been shrunk, stretched, scratched, and stuffed into a teapot. I've been accused of being Alice and of not being Alice but this is *my* dream. *I'll* decide where it goes from here.
* * *
Blue Caterpillar: Who are you?
Alice Kingsley: Absolem?
Blue Caterpillar: You're not Absolem. I'm Absolem. Stupid girl.
* * *
The Mad Hatter: Well. The entire world is falling to ruins and poor Cheshire's off his tea.
* * *
The Mad Hatter: You could stay.
Alice Kingsley: What an idea. What a mad, crazy, wonderful idea.
[They smile at each other]
Alice Kingsley: ... But I can't.
* * *
Alice Kingsley: Hatter, why *is* a raven like a writing desk?
The Mad Hatter: I haven't the slightest idea.
* * *
The Mad Hatter: Why is it you're always too small or too tall?
* * *
The Red Queen: Off with their heads!
* * *
The March Hare: You're all late for tea!
[Throws teacup]
* * *
The Mad Hatter: Yes, yes-but you would have to be half-mad to dream me up.
* * *
Lady Ascot: Imbeciles! The garden is planted with white roses when I've specifically asked the red.
Alice Kingsley: You can always paint the roses red.
Lady Ascot: What an odd thing to say.
* * *
Alice Kingsley: I *make* the path!
* * *
Alice Kingsley: Lost my muchness, have I?
* * *
White Rabbit: Well. If it isn't the *wrong* Alice.
* * *
The Mad Hatter: What is the hatter with me?
* * *
Alice Kingsley: Aunt Imogene, I think I'm going mad. I keep seeing a rabbit in a waistcoat.
Aunt Imogene: Can't be bothered with your fancy rabbit now. I'm waiting for my fiance.
Alice Kingsley: You have a fiance?
Aunt Imogene: Hmm.
Alice Kingsley: [sees White Rabbit again] There! Did you see it?
Aunt Imogene: [ignores] He's a prince. But alas, he cannot marry me unless he renounces his throne. It's tragic, isn't it?
Alice Kingsley: Very.
* * *
Alice Kingsley: Off with your head.
* * *
The March Hare: Twinkle twinkle twinkle twinkle...
* * *
You may see the trailer here.


Plot: 6/10
Entertainment: 6/10
Acting: 6/10
Originality: 7/10
Music and Sound: 7/10

6/10


No comments:

Post a Comment