Thursday, December 11, 2014

Johnny Depp


John Christopher "Johnny" Depp II

9 June 1963


An American actor, film producer, and musician. With the gift of a guitar from his mother when he was 12, Depp began playing in various garage bands. A year after his parents' divorce, Depp dropped out of high school to become a rock musician. He attempted to go back to school two weeks later, but the principal told him to follow his dream of being a musician. He played with The Kids, a band that enjoyed modest local success. The Kids set out together for Los Angeles in pursuit of a record deal, changing their name to Six Gun Method, but the group split up before signing a record deal. Depp subsequently collaborated with the band Rock City Angels and co-wrote their song "Mary", which appeared on Rock City Angels' debut Geffen Records album, Young Man's Blues.
Since then, Depp has taken on challenging and "larger-than-life" roles, starting with a supporting role in Oliver Stone's "Platoon" in 1986, then playing the title character in "Edward Scissorhands" (1990). He later found box office success in "Sleepy Hollow" (1999), "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" (2003) and its sequels, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" (2005), "Alice in Wonderland" (2010) and "Rango" (2011). He has collaborated on eight films with director and friend Tim Burton. In 2004, Depp formed his production company Infinitum Nihil to develop projects where he will serve as actor and/or producer. 
Depp has been nominated for major acting awards, including three nominations for Academy Award for Best Actor. Depp won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy for "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" and the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role for "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl". Depp received the Hollywood Walk of Fame star on November 19, 1999. He also has garnered a sex symbol status in American cinema, being twice named as the "Sexiest Man Alive" by People magazine in 2003 and 2009. He has been listed in the 2012 Guinness World Records as the highest paid actor, with $75 million.


As actor, director, producer


Quotations
* * *
People say I make strange choices, but they're not strange for me. My sickness is that I'm fascinated by human behavior, by what's underneath the surface, by the worlds inside people.
* * *
With any part you play, there is a certain amount of yourself in it. There has to be, otherwise it's just not acting. It's lying.
* * *
The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants.
* * *
I am doing things that are true to me. The only thing I have a problem with is being labeled.
* * *
If there's any message to my work, it is ultimately that it's OK to be different, that it's good to be different, that we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color.
* * *
The quality of life is so different in France. There is the possibility of living a simple life. I would never contemplate raising my daughter in LA. I would never raise any child there.
* * *
I'm shy, paranoid, whatever word you want to use. I hate fame. I've done everything I can to avoid it.
* * *
Life's pretty good, and why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate, after all.
* * *
I'm an old-fashioned guy... I want to be an old man with a beer belly sitting on a porch, looking at a lake or something.
* * *
For a long time I tried to manage an honesty and openness about my personal life because I'm human and I'm normal - well, semi-normal.
* * *
France, and the whole of Europe have a great culture and an amazing history. Most important thing though is that people there know how to live! In America they've forgotten all about it. I'm afraid that the American culture is a disaster.
* * *
You do the work and you want people to see it; but, um while I'm doing the work, the result doesn't matter at all to me. Ultimately, I don't, I don't care whether the film is - you know - some big giant box-office bonanza and I don't care if its a complete flop. To me, when a film gets made and it's actually finished it's a success. They're all a success in their own way.
* * *
There are necessary evils. Money is an important thing in terms of representing freedom in our world. And now I have a daughter to think about. It's really the first time I've thought about the future and what it could be.
* * *
The term 'serious actor' is kind of an oxymoron, isn't it? Like 'Republican party' or 'airplane food.'
* * *
You use your money to buy privacy because during most of your life you aren't allowed to be normal.
* * *
There's no truth anymore.
* * *
I'm not sure I'm adult yet.
* * *
The beauty, the poetry of the fear in their eyes. I didn't mind going to jail for, what, five, six hours? It was absolutely worth it.
* * *
How many chances to you get to make a musical about a serial killer? The minute Tim Burton approached me, I was in.
* * *
The idea of dancing is the only thing that scares me.
* * *
Tomorrow it'll all be over, then I'll have to go back to selling pens again.
* * *
I was angry and frustrated until I started my own family and my first child was born. Until then I didn't really appreciate life the way I should have, but fortunately I woke up.
* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment