Monday, October 13, 2014

The Lovely Bones (2009)


"The story of a life and everything that came after..."


Directed by Peter Jackson
Produced by Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Carolynne Cunningham, Aimée Peyronnet
Screenplay by Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens
Based on "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold
Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Rachel Weisz, Susan Sarandon, Stanley Tucci, Michael Imperioli, Saoirse Ronan
Music by Brian Eno
Cinematography: Andrew Lesnie
Edited by Jabez Olssen
Production company: DreamWorks Pictures, Film4 Productions, WingNut Films
Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Release date: 26 December 2009 (New Zealand )
Running time: 135 minutes
Country: United States, United Kingdom, New Zealand
Budget: $65,000,000
Box office: $93,621,340

"The Lovely Bones" is a drama film directed by Peter Jackson. It's based the novel of the same name by Alice Sebold. The story is about Susie Salmon, a 14-year-old girl living in Pennsylvania with her family. She dreams about becoming a photographer sometime, going out on a date with a boy Susie has a crush on. She is in the spring of his years. But one day Susie doesn't come back home. And never will.


Cast
  • Saoirse Ronan as Susie Salmon
  • Mark Wahlberg as Jack Salmon
  • Rachel Weisz as Abigail Salmon
  • Rose McIver as Lindsey Salmon
  • Stanley Tucci as George Harvey
  • Susan Sarandon as Grandma Lynn
  • Michael Imperioli as Detective Len Fenerman
  • Reece Ritchie as Ray Singh
  • Charlie Saxton as Ronald Drake
  • Amanda Michalka as Clarissa
  • Jake Abel as Brian Nelson
  • Carolyn Dando as Ruth Connors
  • Nikki SooHoo as Denise "Holly" Le Ang
  • Thomas McCarthy as Principal Caden
  • Andrew James Allen as Samuel Heckler


The director of the film is Peter Jackson. He's a great man in film industry. His works like a trilogy "The Lord of the Rings", "King Kong", "District 9", and a trilogy "The Hobbit" are wonderful far-farmed. Therefore the screen of "The Lovely Bones" also turned out marvellous. Special effects are appropriate, characters are exposed pretty well. Maybe the image of the beyond can cause a sensation of displeasure but that's the vision of the director which has good reasons for existing.

Frankly speaking, the main motive for me to watch the film was Saoirse Ronan. An incredible actress. I warrant that all her roles are believable. She always seems naturally. And her Susie Salmon didn't become an exception. She's naive, sincere but quick-witted. Sometimes Susie falls out with her parents. Barely has she fallen in love. She decides to become a photographer. However, no sooner has enjoyed Susie her happiness as her life interrupts so quickly. And then we can see her ghost that becomes more and more malicious. Slakeless vengeance controls her and her father Jack. Jack Salmon performed by Mark Wahlberg turned out a careful dad who loves his family. And after the death of his daughter he decides to find a murderer at any priсe. Mark coped with his dramatic role very well. Stanley Tucci as George Harvey is magnificent. It's better to say awful as his character is a paedophile and serial killer of young girls. However you would never have thought it possible as George Harvey seems a nice and good-natured neighbour of Salmons.


Advantages
  • Saoirse Ronan as Susie Salmon
  • Stanley Tucci as George Harvey

Disadvantages
  • Awful crimes

"Strangenesses"
  • When does life end?

Clue Moments
  • Dating
  • The refuse pit


Life is so ephemeral. Really. Today you can talk to a person who you might never see again. None of us knows what will be tomorrow or in a few hours. So probably now it's time to tell your parents that you love them? Call her grandparents? Hug your sister or brother? Yes, it's time.

A murderer is not always suspicious person. He or she may seem good and kind. I mean cautions is always necessary if you take care of your life. And don't forget that the most responsible person for you is yourself.

When a search for justice and vengeance becomes a meaning of life, it's not as good as it can appear. This fixed idea might ruin a life and there will be nothing good. Just stop. Take a deep breath. And now think once again: is your idea properly important or that's only an obsession?


Soundtracks
  1. Brian Eno - 1/1 (Edit)
  2. Dave Edmunds - I Hear You Knockin'
  3. Brian Eno feat. Harold Budd - First Light
  4. Brian Eno - Third Uncle
  5. Shigeru Umebayashi - The Christmas Song
  6. Brian Eno - 1M9
  7. Brian Eno - 2M1
  8. Paul McCartney - Another Day
  9. Brian Eno - 3M1
  10. Brian Eno - 3M5
  11. Cocteau Twins - Alice
  12. Brian Eno - The Great Pretender
  13. The Hollies - Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)
  14. Brian Eno - Baby's On Fire
  15. Brian Eno - The Secret Place
  16. This Mortal Coil - Song To The Siren
  17. Brian Eno - The Big Ship
  18. Brian Eno - 5M3
  19. Brian Eno - 5M4
  20. Brian Eno - 7M1
  21. Van Morrison - Celtic Swing
  22. Cindy D'lequez-Sage - The Moons Lament
  23. Brian Eno - 8M1/The Lovely Bones Suite


Quotations
* * *
Susie Salmon: Nobody notices when we leave. I mean, the moment when we really choose to go. At best you might feel a whisper, or the wave of a whisper, undulating down. My name is Salmon, like the fish. First name: Susie. I was 14 years old, when I was murdered, on December 6, 1973. I was here for a moment. And then I was gone. I wish you all a long and happy life.
* * *
Susie Salmon: There was one thing my murderer didn't understand; he didn't understand how much a father could love his child.
* * *
Buckley Salmon: Grandma? I know where Susie is.
Grandma Lynn: Yeah, Susie's gone to heaven, sweetheart.
Buckley Salmon: Lindsey said there is no heaven.
Grandma Lynn: All right then, she's dead.
Buckley Salmon: You might be dead soon.
Grandma Lynn: Why do you say that?
Buckley Salmon: Because you're old.
Grandma Lynn: Thirty-five is not old.
* * *
Susie Salmon: These were the lovely bones that had grown around my absence. The connections, sometimes tenuous, sometimes made at great cost, but often magnificent., that happened after I was gone. And I began to see things in a way that let me hold the world without me in it.
* * *
Holly: You're not supposed to look back, you're supposed to keep going.
* * *
Susie Salmon: When I was alive, I never hated anyone. But now hate was all that I had.
* * *
Susie Salmon: I wasn't lost, or frozen, or gone... I was alive; I was alive in my own perfect world.
* * *
Susie Salmon: I was in the blue horizon between heaven and earth. The days were unchanging and every night I dream the same dream. The smell of damp earth. The scream no one heard. The sound of my heart beating like a hammer against cloth and I would hear them calling, the voices of the dead. I wanted to follow them to find a way out but I would always come back to the same door. And I was afraid. I knew if I went in there I would never come out.
* * *
Ray Singh: If I had but an hour of love. If that be all is given me. An hour of love upon this earth...
* * *
Susie Salmon: I would give my love to thee. The Moor.
* * *
You may see the trailer here.


Plot: 7/10
Entertainment: 7/10
Acting: 7/10
Originality: 7/10
Music and Sound: 8/10

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment