Sunday, October 25, 2015

Manhunter (1986)


Enter the mind of a serial killer... you may never come back.


Directed by Michael Mann
Produced by Richard A. Roth
Screenplay by Michael Mann
Based on "Red Dragon" by Thomas Harris
Starring: William Petersen, Kim Greist, Joan Allen, Brian Cox, Dennis Farina, Stephen Lang, Tom Noonan
Music by Michel Rubini, The Reds
Cinematography: Dante Spinotti
Edited by Dov Hoenig
Production companies: De Laurentiis Entertainment Group, Red Dragon Productions
Distributed by De Laurentiis Entertainment Group
Release date: August 1986 (United States)
Running time: 124 minutes
Country: United States
Budget: $15 million
Box office: $8.6 million


"Manhunter" is a crime mystery thriller film written and directed by Michael Mann and based on Thomas Harris' novel "Red Dragon". The story is about former FBI profiler Will Graham who returns to service to pursue a deranged serial murderer named "the Tooth Fairy" by the media


Cast
  • William Petersen as Will Graham
  • Tom Noonan as Francis Dollarhyde
  • Dennis Farina as Jack Crawford
  • Kim Greist as Molly Graham
  • Brian Cox as Dr. Hannibal Lecktor
  • Joan Allen as Reba McClane
  • Stephen Lang as Freddy Lounds


If I didn't see "Red Dragon", I would say the following: "Not a bad film from 80's". However, I have did watch the reboot of 2002 which for me turned out much more interesting and adapted from the novel, not just based as "Manhunter".

But I want to mention two actors from the cast. First of all, William Petersen as Will Graham; his performance I liked more than Edward Norton's one: Petersen's portrayal seemed quite confident and brave in contrast to Norton's whose character looked pretty embarrassed. 

As for Dr. Hannibal Leckter, I can see only one and only person in this role - Anthony Hopkins and no exception. Sorry, Brian Cox, your Hannibal turned out too ordinary.


Advantages
  • Gaspard Ulliel as Hannibal Lecter
  • Gong Li as Lady Murasaki
  • Rhys Ifans as Vladis Grutas
  • Music

Disadvantages
  • Violence (if someone is against it)
  • Not as exciting as "Red Dragon"
  • Just based on Thomas Harris' novel, not adapted from it

"Strangenesses"
  • Cannibalism

Clue Moments
  • Meeting of "the Tooth Fairy" and Reba
  • Death of Freddy Lounds
  • Will's family
  • Mirrors


Soundtracks
  1. The Reds - Leed's House 
  2. 喜多郎 - Seiun
  3. Klaus Schulze - Freeze 
  4. The Reds - Lector's Cell
  5. Shriekback - Evaporation
  6. Shriekback - Coelocanth 
  7. Shriekback - This Big Hush
  8. The Prime Movers - Strong As I Am
  9. Michel Rubini - Graham's Theme
  10. Iron Butterfly - In-A Gadda-Da-Vida (Special Edit)
  11. Red 7 - Heartbeat 
  12. Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida


Quotations
* * *
Doctor Hannibal Lecktor: And if one does what God does enough times, one will become as God is.
* * *
Will Graham: I know that I'm not smarter than you.
Doctor Hannibal Lecktor: Then how did you catch me?
Will Graham: You had disadvantages.
Doctor Hannibal Lecktor: What disadvantages?
Will Graham: You're insane.
* * *
Doctor Hannibal Lecktor: Save yourself, kill them all!
* * *
Doctor Hannibal Lecktor: Dream much... Will?
* * *
Doctor Hannibal Lecktor: You want the scent? Smell yourself!
* * *
Will Graham: It's just you and me now, sport. And I'm going to find you, God damn it.
* * *
Molly: You're talking - about doing exactly what you said you'd...
Will Graham: This killing... it's gotta stop.
Molly: William... you're gonna make yourself sick or get yourself killed.
* * *
Jack Crawford: If I really didn't need you to come back, I wouldn't ask.
* * *
Francis Dollarhyde: Do you know who I am?
Freddy Lounds: I don't want to know who you are.
Francis Dollarhyde: According to you, I'm a sexual pervert... an animal, you said. You know who I am now?
Freddy Lounds: Yes.
* * *
Will Graham: The Tooth Fairy's gonna go on until we get smart or we get lucky. He won't stop.
Jack Crawford: Why not?
Will Graham: He's got a genuine taste for it.
* * *
Doctor Hannibal Lecktor: Have you ever seen blood in the moonlight, Will? It appears quite black.
* * *
Kevin Graham: When are you gonna kill him?
Will Graham: I'm not. It's only my job to find him.
* * *
[the subject of Hannibal Lector has been brought up]
Kevin Graham: What happened?
Will Graham: Well, Lector was attacking college girls, and he killed them.
Kevin Graham: How?
Will Graham: In bad ways.
* * *
[Francis keeps Reba from touching his face]
Francis Dollarhyde: Take my word for it. I'm smiling.
Reba McClane: Hey, I didn't mean to offend you.
* * *
Reba McClane: What are you watching?
Francis Dollarhyde: Just a little homework.
* * *
You may see the trailer here.


Plot: 6/10
Entertainment: 7/10
Acting: 6/10
Originality: 7/10
Music and Sound: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment