Sunday, February 28, 2016

Carol (2015)


"Some people change your life forever"


Directed by Todd Haynes
Produced by Elizabeth Karlsen, Stephen Woolley, Christine Vachon
Screenplay by Phyllis Nagy
Based on "The Price of Salt" by Patricia Highsmith
Starring: Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara, Sarah Paulson, Kyle Chandler
Music by Carter Burwell
Cinematography: Edward Lachman
Edited by Affonso Gonçalves
Production companies: Number 9 Films, Film4 Productions, Killer Films
Distributed by The Weinstein Company, StudioCanal
Release date: 20 November 2015 (United States)
Running time: 118 minutes
Country: United Kingdom, United States
Budget: $11.8 million
Box office: $11.4 million



"Carol" is a romantic drama film directed by Todd Haynes and written by Phyllis Nagy, based on the novel "The Price of Salt"by Patricia Highsmith. The film tells the story of a young aspiring photographer and her relationship with an older woman going through a difficult divorce.


Cast
  • Cate Blanchett as Carol Aird
  • Rooney Mara as Therese Belivet
  • Sarah Paulson as Abby Gerhard
  • Kyle Chandler as Harge Aird
  • Jake Lacy as Richard Semco
  • Cory Michael Smith as Tommy Tucker
  • John Magaro as Dannie McElroy
  • Carrie Brownstein as Genevieve Cantrell
  • Kevin Crowley as Fred Haymes


What if "La Vie d'Adèle" had been set in 1950's in America? It would have become "Carol", I'm sure. The picture shows the love of two women who fall in love in magic Christmas Eve when everything is like a fairy tale. Carol Aird, a stately woman, has a selfish husband, an arrogant mother-in law and a wonderful little daughter - her only silver lining. And then she meets Therese Belivet, a young photographer, Carol's future angel from an other planet. 

The main feature of the film isn't homosexual relationships, that's significant, but the importance of the private life as there are things which nobody else needs to know. And it's very well shown in the picture: almost all Carol and Therese's meetings are in houses and motels, sometimes at the restaurants. Far from the madding crowd, that's important because not everyone may understand and not everyone wants to demonstrate their feelings publicly - and that's the right of love.

As for the technical moments, I must mention splendid music which I wanted to download even during the film and incredible colours and lights. And, of course, how I can forget the captivating performances of Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara that just absolutely compel attention till the end.

For me "Carol" has become a masterpiece despite all negative reviews. I've just fell in love with its game of shadows and that's my right to make my appraisal.


Advantages
  • Cate Blanchett as Carol Aird
  • Rooney Mara as Therese Belivet
  • Sarah Paulson as Abby Gerhard
  • Music
  • Cinematography

Disadvantages
  • Leaving something unsaid

"Strangenesses"
  • The society of 50's isn't surprised by Carol and Therese' love

Clue Moments
  • 1952
  • Frankenberg's department store
  • The train
  • Gloves 
  • Christmas 
  • Richard
  • The New York Times
  • Harge 
  • Photos
  • The trip
  • A motel room in Waterloo
  • The night
  • The evidence
  • Carol's choice
  • "Ugly people"
  • The Ritz Tower Hotel
  • "I love you"
  • The party


Soundtracks
  1. Carter Burwell - Opening
  2. Carter Burwell - Taxi
  3. Carter Burwell - To Carol's
  4. Carter Burwell - One Mint Julep
  5. Carter Burwell - Datebook
  6. Carter Burwell - Christmas Trees
  7. Billie Holiday feat. Teddy Wilson feat. His Orchestra - Easy Living
  8. Carter Burwell - The Train
  9. Carter Burwell - Packing
  10. Carter Burwell - Drive Into Night
  11. Georgia Gibbs - Kiss Of Fire
  12. Carter Burwell - Waterloo
  13. Carter Burwell - Lovers
  14. Carter Burwell - Gun
  15. Les Paul feat. Mary Ford - Smoke Rings
  16. Carter Burwell - Over There
  17. Carter Burwell - Visitation
  18. Carter Burwell - To Court
  19. Carter Burwell - Letter
  20. Jo Stafford - No Other Love
  21. Carter Burwell - The Times
  22. Carter Burwell - Reflections
  23. Carter Burwell - Crossing
  24. Helen Foster feat. The Rovers - You Belong To Me
  25. Carter Burwell - The End


Quotations
* * *
Therese Belivet: I don't know what I want. How could I know what I want if I say yes to everything?
* * *
Harge Aird: [about Carol] I love her.
Abby Gerhard: [Quietly, almost pitifully] I can't help you with that.
[Shuts the door]
* * *
Therese Belivet: [calling Carol on the phone] Hello? Carol?
[Carol gets emotional and struggles in how to respond but forces herself to hang up the phone. Therese, although aware of that, whispers]
Therese Belivet: I miss you... I miss you...
* * *
Carol Aird: Just when it can't get any worse, you run out of cigarettes.
* * *
Carol Aird: [to Therese] My angel, flung out of space...
* * *
Abby Gerhard: Tell me you know what you're doing...
Carol Aird: I don't...
[she looks at Abby and smiles slyly]
Carol Aird: I never did...
* * *
Therese Belivet: I wanna know, I think... I mean, I wanna ask you things, but I'm... I'm not sure that you want that...
Carol Aird: [crying] Ask me, things... Please...
* * *
Therese Belivet: I never asked for anything! Maybe that's the problem!
* * *
Carol Aird: I should have said "Therese, wait"...
* * *
Carol Aird: My suitcase! WHERE'S MY F*CKING SUITCASE?
* * *
You may see the trailer here.


Plot: 8/10
Entertainment: 9/10
Acting: 8/10
Originality: 8/10
Music and Sound: 9/10

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment