Sunday, January 3, 2016

Star Wars. Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi (1983)


"The Empire Falls...."


Directed by Richard Marquand
Produced by Howard Kazanjian
Screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan, George Lucas
Story by George Lucas
Starring: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, Anthony Daniels, David Prowse, Kenny Baker, Peter Mayhew, Frank Oz
Music by John Williams
Cinematography: Alan Hume
Edited by Sean Barton, Duwayne Dunham, Marcia Lucas
Production company: Lucasfilm Ltd
Distributed by 20th Century Fox
Release date: 25 May 1983 (United States)
Running time: 131 minutes
Country: United States
Budget: $32.5–42.7 million
Box office: $572.1 million


"Star Wars. Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi" is an action adventure fantasy film directed by Richard Marquand and written by Lawrence Kasdan and George Lucas. It's the third installment of the "Star Wars" original trilogy which tells the story of Luke Skywalker who struggles to make Vader return from the dark side of the Force while the rebels attempt to destroy the second Death Star after rescuing Han Solo from the palace of Jabba the Hutt.


Cast
  • Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker
  • Harrison Ford as Han Solo
  • Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia Organa
  • Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian
  • Anthony Daniels as C-3PO
  • David Prowse as Darth Vader
  • Kenny Baker as R2-D2
  • Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca
  • Frank Oz as Yoda


As I said, "The Empire Strikes Back" is the fairly best part of the whole film series, however, my favourite one is exactly "Return Of The Jedi": there I may enjoy the rescue of my lovely Han Solo performed by wonderful Harrison Ford, the strong character of marvellous Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker's meeting with his father, more stormtroopers, the frightening but funny Ewoks and the final victory of the Rebels - the perfect ending, I suppose.


Advantages
  • Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker
  • Harrison Ford as Han Solo
  • Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia Organa
  • Music
  • The story

Disadvantages
  • Acting is a little bit overacted

"Strangenesses"
  • The Ewoks are quite scary

Clue Moments
  • The rescue of Han Solo
  • Sarlacc
  • Boba Fett's death
  • Jabba's death
  • Dagobah 
  • Yoda's death
  • The ghost of Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • The truth of the Skywalkers
  • Endor
  • The Death Star
  • Meeting with the Emperor
  • The lightsaber duel between Luke and Vader
  • The Emperor's death
  • Darth Vader's death
  • The victory of the Rebels
  • The funeral pyre
  • The ghosts of Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin


Opening Crawl

"Luke Skywalker has returned to his home planet of Tatooine in an attempt to rescue his friend Han Solo from the clutches of the vile gangster Jabba the Hutt.

Little does Luke know that the GALACTIC EMPIRE has secretly begun construction on a new armored space station even more powerful than the first dreaded Death Star.

When completed, this ultimate weapon will spell certain doom for the small band of rebels struggling to restore freedom to the galaxy..."


Soundtracks
  1. John Williams - Twentieth Century Fox Theme
  2. John Williams - Main Title / Approaching The Death Star
  3. John Williams - Han Solo Returns
  4. John Williams - Fight In The Dungeon
  5. John Williams - The Return Of The Jedi
  6. John Williams - The Emperor Arrives
  7. John Williams - The Death Of Yoda
  8. John Williams - Parade Of The Ewoks
  9. John Williams - Luke And Leia
  10. John Williams - The Emperor Confronts Luke
  11. John Williams - Into The Trap
  12. John Williams - First Ewok Battle / Fight With The Fighters
  13. John Williams - The Forest Battle
  14. John Williams - Final Duel / Into The Death Star
  15. John Williams - The Emperor's Death
  16. John Williams - Darth Vader's Death
  17. John Williams - Through The Flames
  18. John Williams - Leia Breaks The News / Funeral Pyre For A Jedi
  19. John Williams - Ewok Celebration / Finale


Quotations
* * *
Luke: I'll not leave you here. I've got to save you.
Anakin: You already have, Luke.
* * *
[Han and Chewbacca are reunited]
Han Solo: Chewie? Chewie, is that you?
[Chewie grabs Han and shakes him]
Han Solo: Ch-Chewie! I can't see, pal. What's going on?
[Chewie barks]
Han Solo: Luke? Luke's crazy! He can't even take care of himself, much less rescue anybody.
[Chewie barks again]
Han Solo: A Jedi Knight? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, everyone gets delusions of grandeur!
* * *
Luke: Your thoughts betray you, Father. I feel the good in you, the conflict.
Darth Vader: There is no conflict.
Luke: You couldn't bring yourself to kill me before and I don't believe you'll destroy me now.
Darth Vader: You underestimate the power of the Dark Side. If you will not fight, then you will meet your destiny.
* * *
Darth Vader: Luke... help me take this mask off.
Luke: But you'll die.
Darth Vader: Nothing... can stop that now. Just for once... let me... look on you with my *own* eyes.
[Luke takes off Darth Vader's mask one piece at a time. Underneath, Luke sees the face of a pale, scarred, bald-headed, old man - his father, Anakin. Anakin sadly looks at Luke but then gives a tired smile]
Anakin: Now... go, my son. Leave me.
Luke: No. You're coming with me. I'll not leave you here, I've got to save you.
Anakin: You already... have, Luke. You were right. You were right about me. Tell your sister... you were right.
[Anakin smiles and his eyes begin to droop slumps down in death while giving one last dying breath]
Luke: Father... I won't leave you.
* * *
Han Solo: Who are you?
Princess Leia: Someone who loves you.
* * *
Han Solo: Together again, huh?
Luke: Wouldn't miss it.
Han Solo: How we doin'?
Luke: Same as always.
Han Solo: That bad, huh?
* * *
Yoda: That face you make... look I so old to young eyes?
Luke: No. Of course not.
Yoda: I do. Yes, I do. Sick have I become, old and weak... When nine hundred years old *you* reach, look as good *you* will not, hmm?
* * *
[last lines]
Han Solo: I'm sure Luke wasn't on that thing when it blew.
Princess Leia: He wasn't. I can feel it.
Han Solo: You love him,
[pause]
Han Solo: don't you?
Princess Leia: Yes.
Han Solo: All right. I understand. Fine. When he comes back, I won't get in the way.
Princess Leia: Oh, Han, it's not like that at all.
[whispering]
Princess Leia: He's my brother.
* * *
Luke: Master Yoda, you can't die.
Yoda: Strong am I with the Force, but not that strong.
* * *
Yoda: Remember, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Luke... Luke... do not... do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor or suffer your father's fate you will. Luke, when gone am I... the last of the Jedi will you be. Luke, the Force runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned, Luke. There is... another... Sky... walker.
[Yoda dies]
* * *
Han Solo: I think my eyes are getting better. Instead of a big dark blur, I see a big light blur.
Luke: There's nothing to see. I used to live here, you know.
Han Solo: You're going to die here, you know. Convenient.
* * *
Luke: Never. I'll never turn to the Dark Side. You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me.
The Emperor: [angry] So be it... Jedi!
* * *
Luke: Master Yoda... is Darth Vader my father?
Yoda: [avoiding the subject] Rest I need. Yes. Rest.
Luke: Yoda, I must know. If you know, tell me.
Yoda: Your father he is.
[pause]
Yoda: Told you, did he?
Luke: Yes.
Yoda: Unexpected this is. And unfortunate.
Luke: Unfortunate that I know the truth?
Yoda: No! Unfortunate that you rushed to face him... that incomplete was your training. That... not ready for the burden were you.
* * *
Luke: Search your feelings, Father, you can't do this. I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate.
Darth Vader: It is too late for me, son. The Emperor will show you the true nature of the Force. He is your master now.
Luke: Then my father is truly dead.
* * *
Luke: If I don't make it back, you're the only hope for the Alliance.
Princess Leia: Luke, don't talk that way. You have a power I don't understand and could never have.
Luke: You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time you'll learn to use it as I have. The Force runs strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. And... my sister has it. Yes. It's you, Leia.
Princess Leia: I know. Somehow, I've always known.
* * *
C-3PO: R2, why did you have to be so brave?
* * *
[Referring to Vader]
Princess Leia: But, why must you confront him?
Luke: Because, there is good in him. I've felt it. He won't turn me over to the Emperor. I can save him. I can turn him back to the good side. I have to try.
* * *
[about to be cooked alive by the Ewoks]
Han Solo: I have a really bad feeling about this.
* * *
Han Solo: [to Chewie about the Ewoks] Well, short help is better than no help at all.
* * *
Princess Leia: Luke, what's wrong?
Luke: Leia, do you remember your mother? Your real mother?
Princess Leia: Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.
Luke: What do you remember?
Princess Leia: Just... images really. Feelings.
Luke: Tell me.
Princess Leia: She was... very beautiful. Kind, but sad. Why are you asking me this?
Luke: I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her.
* * *
Stormtrooper: Stop right there!
[Han glances nervously at Leia... who subtly reveals the blaster hidden at her side]
Han Solo: I love you.
Princess Leia: [smiles] I know.
* * *
Luke: Come with me. Leave everything behind.
Darth Vader: Obi-Wan once thought as you do. You don't know the power of the Dark Side. I must obey my master.
* * *
Darth Vader: A small rebel force has penetrated the shield and landed on Endor.
The Emperor: Yes, I know.
Darth Vader: My son is with them.
The Emperor: Are you sure?
Darth Vader: I have *felt* him, my master.
The Emperor: Strange that I have not. I wonder if your feelings on this matter are clear, Lord Vader.
Darth Vader: They are clear, my master.
* * *
Princess Leia: It only takes one to sound the alarm.
Han Solo: Then we'll do it real quiet-like.
* * *
Lando Calrissian: That blast came from the Death Star! That thing's operational!
* * *
Jabba the Hutt: This bounty hunter is my kind of scum: fearless and inventive.
* * *
Luke: You will take me to Jabba now.
Bib Fortuna: I take you to Jabba now.
Luke: You serve your master well. And you will be rewarded.
* * *
C-3PO: He says the scouts are going to show us the quickest way to the shield generator.
Han Solo: Good. How far is it? Ask him.
[3PO turns to ask, Han pulls him back]
Han Solo: We need some fresh supplies too.
[3PO turns again; Han pulls him back again]
Han Solo: Try and get our weapons back.
[and again]
Han Solo: Hurry up, will ya? Haven't got all day!
* * *
C-3PO: Wonderful. We are now a part of the tribe.
[an Ewok hugs Han]
Han Solo: Just what I always wanted.
* * *
Yoda: Soon will I rest, yes, forever sleep. Earned it I have.
Luke: Master Yoda, you can't die.
Yoda: Ah, strong am I with the Force, but not that strong. Twilight is upon me, and soon, night must fall. That is the way of things. The way of the Force.
* * *
Luke: I'll meet you back at the fleet.
Princess Leia: Hurry. The Alliance should be assembled by now.
Luke: I will.
Han Solo: Hey, Luke, thanks. Thanks for coming after me. I owe you one.
* * *
The Emperor: Rise my friend.
Darth Vader: The Death Star will be completed on schedule.
The Emperor: You've done well, Lord Vader. And now I sense you wish to continue your search for young Skywalker.
Darth Vader: Yes, my Master.
The Emperor: Patience, my friend. In time, he will seek *you* out, and when he does, you must bring him before me. He has grown strong. Only together can we turn him to the Dark Side of the Force.
Darth Vader: As you wish.
The Emperor: Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.
* * *
Darth Vader: He will come to me?
The Emperor: I have foreseen it. His compassion for you will be his undoing. He will come to you and then you will bring him before me.
Darth Vader: As you wish.
* * *
Luke: I'm endangering the mission. I shouldn't have come.
Han Solo: It's your imagination, kid. Come on. Let's keep a little optimism here.
* * *
The Emperor: Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your friends, up there on the sanctuary moon, are walking into a trap, as is your Rebel fleet. It was *I* who allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best troops awaits them. Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive.
* * *
Darth Vader: What is thy bidding, my master?
The Emperor: Send the fleet to the far side of Endor. There it will stay until called for.
Darth Vader: What of the reports of the rebel fleet massing near Sullust?
The Emperor: It is of no concern. Soon the Rebellion will be crushed and young Skywalker will be one of us. Your work here is finished, my friend. Go out to the command ship and await my orders.
Darth Vader: Yes, my master.
* * *
Jabba the Hutt: You may have been a good smuggler, but now you're Bantha fodder.
* * *
[about the rebels attack plan]
C-3PO: Exciting is hardly the word I would choose.
* * *
C-3PO: What could possibly have come over Master Luke? Is it something I did? He never expressed any unhappiness with my work.
* * *
Jabba the Hutt: There will be no bargain, young Jedi. I shall enjoy watching you die.
* * *
Lando Calrissian: Split up and head back to the surface. And see if you can get a few of those TIE fighters to follow you.
* * *
You may see the trailer here.


Plot: 7/10
Entertainment: 9/10
Acting: 8/10
Originality: 9/10
Music and Sound: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment