Saturday, December 26, 2015

Star Wars. Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)


"A Jedi Shall Not Know Anger. Nor Hatred. Nor Love."


Directed by George Lucas
Produced by Rick McCallum
Screenplay by George Lucas, Jonathan Hales

Story by George Lucas
Starring: Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Hayden Christensen, Ian McDiarmid, Samuel L. Jackson, Christopher Lee, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, Frank Oz
Music by John Williams
Cinematography: David Tattersall
Edited by Ben Burtt
Production company: Lucasfilm
Distributed by 20th Century Fox1
Release dates: 16 May 2002 (United Kingdom)
Running time: 142 minutes
Country: United States
Budget: $115 million
Box office: $649.4 million



"Star Wars. Episode II: Attack of the Clones" is an action adventure fantasy film directed by George Lucas and written by Lucas and Jonathan Hales. It's the second installment of the Star Wars prequel trilogy which tells the story of Anakin Skywalker who shares a forbidden romance with Padmé, and Obi-Wan who investigates an assassination attempt on the Senator and discovers a secret clone army crafted for the Jedi.



Cast
  • Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • Natalie Portman as Padmé Amidala
  • Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker
  • Ian McDiarmid as Chancellor Palpatine / Darth Sidious
  • Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu
  • Christopher Lee as Count Dooku / Darth Tyranus
  • Anthony Daniels as C-3PO
  • Kenny Baker as R2-D2
  • Frank Oz voices Yoda


First of all, I must say the following: I'm not keen on the prequel trilogy as I believe it's less great than the original one. However, it's my subjective opinion, don't forget. But the reason why I especially don't like "Attack of the Clones" is the love story between Padmé Amidala and Anakin Skywalker. Well, disparity in age doesn't matter, frankly speaking, - much worse is to see no chemistry between them. Moreover, it's even offensive to watch not very good acting of Natalie Portman (how can it be?) and Hayden Christensen.

But not everything turns out so bad: the beginning of the Clone Wars is the main feature of the "Attack of the Clones", the cause to watch it.


Advantages
  • General Grievous
  • Music
  • Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu
  • Christopher Lee as Count Dooku / Darth Tyranus
  • Special effects

Disadvantages
  • Love story
  • Natalie Portman as Padmé Amidala
  • Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker

"Strangenesses"
  • Love story

Clue Moments
  • Count Dooku
  • Coruscant 
  • Anakin Skywalker
  • Zam Wesell
  • Kamino
  • An army of clones
  • Jango Fett
  • Geonosis 
  • Shmi's death
  • The battle with Dooku
  • The Clone Wars
  • The marriage


Opening Crawl

"There is unrest in the Galactic Senate. Several thousand solar systems have declared their intentions to leave the Republic.

This separatist movement, under the leadership of the mysterious Count Dooku, has made it difficult for the limited number of Jedi Knights to maintain peace and order in the galaxy.

Senator Amidala, the former Queen of Naboo, is returning to the Galactic Senate to vote on the critical issue of creating an ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC to assist the overwhelmed Jedi...."


Soundtracks
  1. John Williams - Main Title And Ambush On Coruscant
  2. John Williams - Across The Stars (Love Theme)
  3. John Williams - Zam The Assassin And The Chase Through Coruscant
  4. John Williams - Yoda And The Younglings
  5. John Williams - Departing Coruscant
  6. John Williams - Anakin And Padme
  7. John Williams - Jangos Escape
  8. John Williams - The Meadow Picnic
  9. John Williams - Bounty Hunters Hot Pursuit
  10. John Williams - Return To Tatooine
  11. John Williams - The Tusken Camp And The Homestead
  12. John Williams - Love Pledge And The Arena
  13. John Williams - Confrontation With Count Dooku And Finale
  14. John Williams - On The Conveyor Belt (Bonus Track)


Quotations
* * *
Obi-Wan: Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me?
Anakin: Don't say that, master. You're the closest thing I have to a father.
* * *
Obi-Wan: I have to admit that without the clones, it would have not been a victory.
Yoda: Victory? Victory you say? Master Obi-Wan, not victory. The shroud of the dark side has fallen. Begun the Clone War has.
* * *
Padme: We used to come here for school retreat. We would swim to that island every day. I love the water. We used to lie out on the sand and let the sun dry us and try to guess the names of the birds singing.
Anakin: I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.
* * *
Anakin: Attachment is forbidden. Possession is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is essential to a Jedi's life. So you might say, that we are encouraged to love.
* * *
Anakin: You call this a diplomatic solution?
Padme: No, I call it aggressive negotiations.
* * *
Obi-Wan: What took you so long?
Anakin: Well, you know, Master, I couldn't find a speeder that I really liked...
Obi-Wan: There he is.
Anakin: ...with an open cockpit and the right speed capabilities.
Obi-Wan: If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman.
Anakin: I thought I already did.
Obi-Wan: Only in your mind, my very young apprentice.
* * *
Padme: You're making fun of me!
Anakin: Oh, no, I'd be too frightened to tease a senator!
* * *
Yoda: Mmm. Lost a planet, Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing. How embarrassing.
* * *
Padme: Please don't look at me like that.
Anakin: Why not?
Padme: Because it makes me feel uncomfortable.
Anakin: Sorry my lady.
* * *
Palpatine: Master Yoda. Do you really think it will come to war?
Yoda: The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is.
* * *
Anakin: One day, I will become the greatest Jedi EVER. I will even learn how to stop people from dying.
* * *
Mace Windu: What is it?
Yoda: Pain, suffering, death I feel. Something terrible has happened. Young Skywalker is in pain. Terrible pain.
* * *
Obi-Wan: [returning Anakin's lightsaber] This weapon is your life.
* * *
Anakin: It's all Obi-Wan's fault. He's jealous. He's holding me back.
* * *
Padme: It must be difficult having sworn your life to the Jedi... not being able to visit the places you like... or do the things you like.
Anakin: Or be with the people I love.
Padme: Are you allowed to love? I thought that was forbidden for a Jedi.
* * *
Count Dooku: You must join me, Obi-Wan, and together we will destroy the Sith!
Obi-Wan: I will never join you.
* * *
Obi-Wan: I hope he doesn't try anything foolish.
Captain Typho: I'd be more concerned about *her* doing something than him.
* * *
Jango Fett: I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe.
* * *
Palpatine: You don't need guidance, Anakin. In time, you will learn to trust your feelings. Then, you will be invincible. I have said it many times, you are the most gifted Jedi I have ever met.
Anakin: Thank you, Your Excellency.
Palpatine: I see you becoming the greatest of all the Jedi, Anakin. Even more powerful than Master Yoda.
* * *
Anakin: When I'm around you, my mind is no longer my own.
* * *
Anakin: I wasn't strong enough to save you mom. I wasn't strong enough, but I promise I won't fail again.
* * *
Obi-Wan: You have made a commitment to the Jedi order, a commitment not easily broken.
* * *
Yoda: Concentrate all your fire on the nearest starship.
* * *
Mace Windu: Protect the senator at all costs.
* * *
Anakin: You're asking me to be rational. I know that is something I cannot do.
* * *
Yoda: Fought well you have, my old Padawan
Count Dooku: This is just the beginnig!
* * *
Obi-Wan: It's a great pleasure to see you again, milady.
Padme: It has been far too long, Master Kenobi. Ani? My goodness you've grown.
Anakin: So have you. Grown more beautiful, I mean. Well, for a Senator I mean.
* * *
Jango Fett: Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi.
* * *
You may see the trailer here.


Plot: 6/10
Entertainment: 6/10
Acting: 6/10
Originality: 7/10
Music and Sound: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment