Friday, October 2, 2015

Red Dragon (2002)


"To understand the origin of evil, you must go back to the beginning."


Directed by Brett Ratner
Produced by Dino De Laurentiis, Martha De Laurentiis
Screenplay by Ted Tally
Based on "Red Dragon" by Thomas Harris
Starring: Anthony Hopkins, Edward Norton, Ralph Fiennes, Harvey Keitel, Emily Watson, Mary-Louise Parker, Philip Seymour Hoffman
Music by Danny Elfman
Cinematography: Dante Spinotti
Edited by Mark Helfrich
Production company: Dino De Laurentiis Company
Distributed by Universal Pictures, Metro Goldwyn Mayer
Release date: 4 October 2002 (United States)
Running time: 124 minutes
Country: United States
Budget: $78 million
Box office: $209.1 million


"Red Dragon" is a crime thriller film directed by Brett Ratner and based on Thomas Harris' novel of the same name. It is a prequel to "The Silence of the Lambs" and "Hannibal" which follows a retired FBI agent with psychological gifts who is assigned to help track down "The Tooth Fairy", a mysterious serial killer with the help of criminal genius Hannibal "The Cannibal" Lecter.


Cast
  • Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter
  • Edward Norton as Will Graham
  • Ralph Fiennes as Francis Dolarhyde
  • Alex D. Linz as Young Dolarhyde (voice)
  • Emily Watson as Reba McClane
  • Harvey Keitel as Jack Crawford
  • Mary-Louise Parker as Molly Graham
  • Philip Seymour Hoffman as Freddy Lounds
  • Frank Whaley as Ralph Mandy
  • Anthony Heald as Frederick Chilton
  • Ken Leung as Lloyd Bowman
  • Frankie Faison as Barney Matthews
  • Tyler Patrick Jones as Josh Graham


The novel "Red Dragon" was originally adapted in the film "Manhunter" (1986). But "Red Dragon" (2002) is remarkable for a more close screen adaption than a free interpretation of 1986. So what?

Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter is so classy that I even don't think I need to mention the perfection of his portrayal. But Edward Norton isn't the best candidate for Will Graham, in my opinion, but it's funny to see him blond. The more I watch films with Ralph Fiennes, the more I fall in love with his talent - he's able to cope with every role, and insane Francis Dolarhyde isn't an exception.


Advantages
  • The story
  • Music
  • Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter
  • Ralph Fiennes as Francis Dolarhyde
  • Emily Watson as Reba McClane

Disadvantages
  • I need Clarice Starling performed by Julianne Moore
  • Edward Norton as Will Graham

Strangenesses
  • The illness of Francis 

Clue Moments
  • A burning wheelchair
  • Eating paper 
  • The fire


Soundtracks
  1. Danny Elfman - Logos
  2. Danny Elfman - The Revelation 
  3. Danny Elfman - Main Titles 
  4. Danny Elfman - The Cell
  5. Danny Elfman - The Old Mansion 
  6. Danny Elfman - The Address 
  7. Danny Elfman - Were Different 
  8. Danny Elfman - The Note
  9. Danny Elfman - Enter the Dragon 
  10. Danny Elfman - Threats 
  11. Danny Elfman - Tiger Balls
  12. Danny Elfman - Love on A Couch
  13. Danny Elfman - Devouring the Dragon
  14. Danny Elfman - The Fire 
  15. Danny Elfman - The Book 
  16. Danny Elfman - Hes Back!
  17. Danny Elfman - End Credits Suite


Quotations
* * *
Hannibal Lecter: And be grateful. Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real.
* * *
Will Graham: I thought you might enjoy the challenge. Find out if you're smarter than the person I'm looking for.
Hannibal Lecter: Then, by implication, you think you're smarter than I am, since it was you who caught me.
Will Graham: No, I know I'm not smarter than you.
Hannibal Lecter: Then how did you catch me?
Will Graham: You had... disadvantages.
Hannibal Lecter: What disadvantages?
Will Graham: You're insane.
* * *
Hannibal Lecter: Remarkable boy. I do admire your courage. I think I'll eat your heart.
* * *
Francis Dolarhyde: I am the Dragon. And you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly. Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. YOU OWE ME AWE.
* * *
Francis Dolarhyde: Open your eyes.
Freddy Lounds: No.
Francis Dolarhyde: Open them or I'll staple your eyelids to your forehead.
* * *
Will Graham: I need your opinion now.
Hannibal Lecter: Then here's one... you stink of fear under that cheap lotion. You stink of fear Will, but you're not a coward. You fear me, but still you came here. You fear this shy boy, yet still you seek him out. Don't you understand, Will? You caught me because we're very much alike. Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards. Fear... is the price of our instrument. But I can help you bear it.
* * *
Will Graham: He's not going to stop.
Woman Detective: Why not?
Will Graham: Because it makes him God. Would *you* give that up?
* * *
Jack Crawford: How much do you know?
Will Graham: Just what was in the Miami Herald and the Times. Two families killed a month apart in their homes... Birmingham and Atlanta. Circumstances were similar.
Jack Crawford: Not similar, the same.
* * *
Jack Crawford: If that painting meant so much to him, why destroy it? And why didn't he kill those two women at the museum? They both got a good look at him.
Will Graham: Maybe he's trying to stop.
* * *
Hannibal Lecter: You will not persuade me with appeals to my intellectual vanity.
* * *
Francis Dolarhyde: I am not a man. I began as one, but now I am becoming more than a man, as you will witness.
* * *
Will Graham: Jack, there's only one safe way to carry on a conversation that's one-way blind.
Jack Crawford: Publication.
* * *
Hannibal Lecter: First he kills the pet, and then the family. Freddy was your pet, Will.
* * *
Reba McClane: If there's anything I hate worse than pity, it's fake pity. Especially from a walking hard-on like Ralph Mandy.
Francis Dolarhyde: I have no pity.
* * *
Will Graham: [to Reba] There's nothing wrong with you... except your hair. Your hair is a train wreck.
* * *
Hannibal Lecter: Have you seen blood in the moonlight? It appears quite black.
* * *
Hannibal Lecter: And how is the young Josh and the lovely Molly? They're always in my thoughts, you know.
* * *
Will Graham: He's not collecting body parts. He's eating them.
* * *
Hannibal Lecter: Do you like my little exercise cage, Will? My so-called lawyer is always nagging Dr. Chilton for better accommodations. I don't know which is the greater fool.
* * *
Freddy Lounds: Will you let me go now?
Francis Dolarhyde: Soon. There is one more way I can help you to better understand.
Freddy Lounds: I-I want to understand. I do, and I'm-I'm really gonna be fair from now on. You know that.
* * *
You may see the trailer here.


Plot: 9/10
Entertainment: 9/10
Acting: 8/10
Originality: 7/10
Music and Sound: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment