Sunday, May 31, 2015

Easy A (2010)


"The rumor-filled totally FALSE account of how I ruined my flawless reputation."


Directed by Will Gluck
Produced by Zanne Devine, Will Gluck
Written by Bert V. Royal
Starring: Emma Stone, Penn Badgley, Thomas Haden Church, Patricia Clarkson, Cam Gigandet, Lisa Kudrow, Malcolm McDowell, Aly Michalka, Stanley Tucci
Music by Vangelis
Cinematography: Michael Grady
Edited by Susan Littenberg
Production company: Olive Bridge Entertainment
Distributed by Screen Gems
Release date: 16 September 2010 (Australia)
Running time: 92 minutes
Country: United States
Budget: $8 million
Box office: $75 million


"Easy A" is a romantic comedy film directed by Will Gluck and written by Bert V. Royal. It tells a story of a girl who becomes popular due to a big rumour.


Cast
  • Emma Stone as Olive Penderghast
  • Juliette Goglia as young Olive
  • Penn Badgley as "Woodchuck" Todd
  • Braeden Lemasters as young Todd
  • Amanda Bynes as Marianne Bryant
  • Dan Byrd as Brandon
  • Thomas Haden Church as Mr. Griffith
  • Patricia Clarkson as Rosemary Penderghast
  • Cam Gigandet as Micah
  • Lisa Kudrow as Mrs. Griffith
  • Malcolm McDowell as Principal Gibbons
  • Aly Michalka as Rhiannon Abernathy
  • Stanley Tucci as Dill Penderghast
  • Mahaley Manning as Nina Howell
  • Jake Sandvig as Anson
  • Bryce Clyde Jenkins as Chip Penderghast
  • Johanna Braddy as Melody Bostic
  • Fred Armisen as Pastor Bryant
  • Stacey Travis as Mrs. Bryant


I'd started to watch the movie two years and only two some days ago finished. I don't remember why I didn't see it whole at once (problems with the Internet?) but now I understand - the film is pretty unusual and considers an important problem: virginity as a way to the popularity.

Will Gluck is known to me for his not very successful "Annie" (2014). As for "Easy A", it turned out with claims to not just a next comedy however the ending marred the effect of the effort: too naive and predictable.

Emma Stone ("Birdman" and "Magic in the Moonlight")was my first reason to watch the film. Her outstanding personality in role of an excellent student who is breathed on blended with her funny melodramatic attitudinizing. And yes, the film was a chance to see Penn Badgle who has captured my attention since "Gossip Girl".


Advantages
  • Emma Stone as Olive Penderghast
  • Penn Badgley as "Woodchuck" Todd
  • The unusual plot

Disadvantages
  • The usual happy end

"Strangenesses"
  • Why did Olive continue to tell tales about herself?

Clue Moments
  • The Scarlett Letter
  • Parties


A reputation is such a difficult concept. Building it up is a step-by-step process which can be ruined in a moment. Especially when it comes to a question about a sexual life: only a gossip and that's enough to pass for someone uncomplimentary. Therefore here's just one simple piece of advice - be careful of parts of speech.


Soundtracks
  1. Sweet Thing - Change Of Seasons
  2. Day One - Bad Before Good
  3. Lenka - Trouble Is A Friend
  4. Cary Brothers - If You Were Here
  5. The Yeah you's - 15 Minutes
  6. Remi Nicole - Cupid Shoot Me
  7. Kram - Satellite
  8. AM - Don't You (Forget About Me)
  9. I heart homework - We Go Together
  10. Kardinal Offishall - Numba 1 (Tide Is High)
  11. Carlos Bertonatti - Perfect Picture
  12. Miniature Tigers - The Wolf
  13. Jessica Cornish - Sexy Silk
  14. The Boy Least Likely To - When Life Gives Me Lemons I Make
  15. Natasha Bedingfield - Pocketful Of Sunshine
  16. Simple Minds - Dont You (Forget About Me)


Quotations
* * *
Olive Penderghast: Whatever happened to chivalry? Does it only exist in 80's movies? I want John Cusack holding a boombox outside my window. I wanna ride off on a lawnmower with Patrick Dempsey. I want Jake from Sixteen Candles waiting outside the church for me. I want Judd Nelson thrusting his fist into the air because he knows he got me. Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life.
* * *
Principal Gibbons: This is public school. If I can keep the girls off the pole and the boys off the pipe, I get a bonus.
* * *
Olive Penderghast: I might even lose my virginity to him. I don't know when it will happen. You know, maybe in five minutes, or tonight, or six months from now, or maybe on the night of our wedding. But the really amazing thing is, it is nobody's goddamn business.
* * *
Olive Penderghast: Ironically, we were studying "The Scarlet Letter", but isn't that always the way? The books you read in class always seems to have a strong connection with whatever angsty adolescent drama is being recounted. I consider this.
* * *
Olive Penderghast: I used to be anonymous, invisible to the opposite sex. If Google Earth were a guy, he couldn't find me if I was dressed up as a 10-story building.
* * *
Olive Penderghast: Let me just begin by saying that there are two sides to every story. This is my side, the right one.
* * *
Olive Penderghast: Welcome. This is where the magic happens. And as we all know, by "magic" I mean "nothing."
* * *
High School Student: Hey Olive. How's it going?
Olive Penderghast: I'm swell, guy-I've-never-laid-eyes-on-before. Thanks for asking.
* * *
Olive Penderghast: I didn't know *what* they were so upset about; I put an "A" on my wardrobe just like they asked. Maybe it was because I was wearing clothes that were two sizes too small.
* * *
Olive Penderghast: I need to get my business in order before I drag you into it.
Woodchuck Todd: What if I told you I wanna be dragged into it? I could help, maybe.
Olive Penderghast: Why now? Why are you all of a sudden into me now?
Woodchuck Todd: I don't know. I haven't overanalyzed it, like you're about to.
* * *
Olive Penderghast: So they got Rhiannon. Never underestimate the power of extremists like Marianne. They sense any weaknesses, they pounce like jungle cats. And the whack pack just gets bigger and bigger. But at least they have a pack. I was used to being by myself, but I have never felt more alone.
* * *
You may see the trailer here.


Plot: 7/10
Entertainment: 7/10
Acting: 7/10
Originality: 8/10
Music and Sound: 6/10

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment