Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Forrest Gump (1994)



"The world will never be the same once you've seen it through the eyes of Forrest Gump."


Directed by Robert Zemeckis
Produced by Wendy Finerman, Steve Tisch, Steve Starkey, Charles Newirth
Screenplay by Eric Roth
Based on "Forrest Gump" by Winston Groom
Starring: Tom Hanks, Robin Wright, Gary Sinise, Mykelti Williamson, Sally Field
Music by Alan Silvestri
Cinematography: Don Burgess
Edited by Arthur Schmidt
Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Release date: 6 July 1994 (United States)
Running time: 142 minutes
Country: United States
Budget: $55,000,000
Box office: $677,945,399


"Forrest Gump" is a epic romantic comedy-drama film directed by Robert Zemeckis and based on the novel of the same name by Winston Groom. The story is about Forrest Gump - not very intelligent but good-hearted and athletically prodigious man, who witnesses, and in some cases influences, some of the defining events of the latter half of the 20th century in the United States. The film differs substantially from Winston Groom's novel on which it was based, including Gump's personality and several events that were depicted.


Cast
  • Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump
  • Robin Wright as Jenny Curran
  • Gary Sinise as Lieutenant Dan Taylor
  • Mykelti Williamson as Benjamin Buford "Bubba" Blue
  • Sally Field as Mrs. Gump
  • Haley Joel Osment as Forrest Gump, Jr.
  • Peter Dobson as Elvis
  • Dick Cavett as himself
  • Sam Anderson as Principal Hancock
  • Geoffrey Blake as Wesley
  • Siobhan Fallon Hogan as Dorothy Harris
  • Sonny Shroyer as Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
  • Grand L. Bush, Michael Jace, Conor Kennelly, and Teddy Lane Jr. as the Black Panthers


Robert Zemeckis has been known to me for his works like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" (1988), "Cast Away" (2000), "Gothika" (2003), "The Polar Express" (2004), "House of Wax" (2005), "Monster House" (2006), "The Reaping" (2007), "Beowulf" (2007), "Mars Needs Moms" (2011) and "Real Steel" (2011) . However, his "Forrest Gump" became my favourite one among his pictures. I'm sure there's no reason to make much of this film as it's a masterpiece of cinematography. And I absolutely agree with this fact.

Forrest Gump performed by Tom Hanks is incredible. Each movement, each look, each word takes on special significance. This way, I can't see anyone except Hanks in this role. Robin Wright also captures my eye: her Jenny, who was a complete blunderer, changes due to Forrest's love. Sadly that it's too late.


Advantages
  • Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump
  • A wonderful plot
  • Forrest is so light-hearted in this cruel world

Disadvantages
  • The cruelty of the world

"Strangenesses"
  • Yes, Forrest takes part in every imposrtant historical events

Clue Moments
  • The bench
  • The story of Forrest's life
  • Jenny



Si kind, so good-hearted - it has always been hard to find this kind of a human. Therefore this film, this novel is something more than just a story. It makes call upon to do good. Or just say a kind word to your relatives, close friends or to anyone you love. I don't want to think about it but probably tomorrow never comes. So let's be even a little more Forrest Gump! Right now.


Jenny reveals that she is suffering from an unspecified viral illness, presumably HIV/AIDS. Therefore I want to look closer to this problem.

First the basics: what is AIDS? AIDS (acquired immune deficiency syndrome) is a condition caused by a virus called HIV. This virus attacks the immune system, the body's "security force" that fights off infections. When the immune system breaks down, you lose this protection and can develop many serious, often deadly infections and cancers. These are called "opportunistic infections (OIs)" because they take advantage of the body's weakened defenses. You have heard it said that someone "died of AIDS." This is not entirely accurate, since it is the opportunistic infections that cause death. AIDS is the condition that lets the OIs take hold.

And what is HIV? HIV is a virus, like the flu or cold. A virus is really nothing but a set of instructions for making new viruses, wrapped up in some fat, protein and sugar. Without living cells, a virus can't do anything—it's like a brain with no body. In order to make more viruses (and to do all of the other nasty things that viruses do), a virus has to infect a cell. HIV mostly infects CD4 cells, also known as T cells, orT-helper cells. These are white blood cells that coordinate the immune system to fight disease, much like the quarterback of a football team. Once inside the cell, HIV starts producing millions of little viruses, which eventually kill the cell and then go out to infect other cells. All of the drugs marketed to treat HIV work by interfering with this process. There, that wasn't so hard, was it?

You can find more information here.


Soundtracks
  1. Alan Silvestri - Forrest Meet Forrest
  2. Alan Silvestri - I Had a Destiny
  3. Alan Silvestri - I Never Thanked You
  4. Alan Silvestri - I Ran And Ran
  5. Alan Silvestri - I'll Be Right Here
  6. Alan Silvestri - I'm Forrest... Forrest Gump
  7. Alan Silvestri - Jenny Retunrs
  8. Alan Silvestri - Jenny's Grave
  9. Alan Silvestri - Jesus on The Main Line
  10. Alan Silvestri - Pray With Me
  11. Alan Silvestri - Run Forrest Run
  12. Alan Silvestri - Suite From Forrest Gump
  13. Alan Silvestri - That's My Boat
  14. Alan Silvestri - The Crimson Gump
  15. Alan Silvestri - The Crusade
  16. Alan Silvestri - The Wedding Guest
  17. Alan Silvestri - They're Sending Me To Vietnam
  18. Alan Silvestri - Washington Reunion
  19. Alan Silvestri - Where Heaven Ends
  20. Alan Silvestri - You Can't Sit Here
  21. Alan Silvestri - You're No Differrent


Quotations
* * *
Jenny Curran: His name's Forrest.
Forrest Gump: Like me.
Jenny Curran: I named him after his daddy.
Forrest Gump: He got a daddy named Forrest, too?
Jenny Curran: You're his daddy, Forrest.
* * *
Forrest Gump: You died on a Saturday morning. And I had you placed here under our tree. And I had that house of your father's bulldozed to the ground. Momma always said dyin' was a part of life. I sure wish it wasn't. Little Forrest, he's doing just fine. About to start school again soon. I make his breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. I make sure he combs his hair and brushes his teeth every day. Teaching him how to play ping-pong. He's really good. We fish a lot. And every night, we read a book. He's so smart, Jenny. You'd be so proud of him. I am. He, uh, wrote a letter, and he says I can't read it. I'm not supposed to, so I'll just leave it here for you. Jenny, I don't know if Momma was right or if, if it's Lieutenant Dan. I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happening at the same time. I miss you, Jenny. If there's anything you need, I won't be far away.
* * *
Jenny Curran: Do you ever dream, Forrest, about who you're gonna be?
Forrest Gump: Who I'm gonna be?
Jenny Curran: Yeah.
Forrest Gump: Aren't-aren't I going to be me?
* * *
Forrest Gump: My momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
* * *
Forrest Gump: Stupid is as stupid does.
* * *
Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: Have you found Jesus yet, Gump?
Forrest Gump: I didn't know I was supposed to be looking for him, sir.
* * *
Drill Sergeant: Gump! What's your sole purpose in this army?
Forrest Gump: To do whatever you tell me, drill sergeant!
Drill Sergeant: God damn it, Gump! You're a god damn genius! This is the most outstanding answer I have ever heard. You must have a goddamn I.Q. of 160. You are goddamn gifted, Private Gump. Listen up, people...
* * *
Forrest Gump: Will you marry me? I'd make a good husband, Jenny.
Jenny Curran: You would, Forrest.
Forrest Gump: ...But you won't marry me.
Jenny Curran: ... You don't wanna marry me.
Forrest Gump: Why don't you love me, Jenny? I'm not a smart man... but I know what love is.
* * *
Jenny Curran: Run, Forrest! Run!
* * *
Jenny Curran: Were you scared in Vietnam?
Forrest Gump: Yes. Well, I-I don't know. Sometimes it would stop raining long enough for the stars to come out... and then it was nice. It was like just before the sun goes to bed down on the bayou. There was always a million sparkles on the water... like that mountain lake. It was so clear, Jenny, it looked like there were two skies one on top of the other. And then in the desert, when the sun comes up, I couldn't tell where heaven stopped and the earth began. It's so beautiful.
Jenny Curran: I wish I could've been there with you.
Forrest Gump: You were.
* * *
Forrest Gump: Mama always said, dying was a part of life. I sure wish it wasn't.
* * *
Dorothy Harris: Are you coming along?
Young Forrest Gump: Mama said not to be taking rides from strangers.
Dorothy Harris: This is the bus to school.
Young Forrest Gump: I'm Forrest, Forrest Gump.
Dorothy Harris: I'm Dorothy Harris.
Young Forrest Gump: Well, now we ain't strangers anymore.
* * *
Bubba: Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.
* * *
Young Man Running: Quiet, quiet! He's gonna say something!
Forrest Gump: I'm pretty tired... I think I'll go home now.
* * *
Forrest Gump: If I'd a known that was the last time I was gonna talk to Bubba, I would of thought of something better to say.
* * *
Forrest Gump: My Mama always said you've got to put the past behind you before you can move on.
* * *
Forrest Gump: That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going.
* * *
Forrest Gump: In the land of China, people hardly got nothing at all.
John Lennon: No possessions?
Forrest Gump: And in China they never go to church.
John Lennon: No religion too?
Dick Cavett: Ah. Hard to imagine.
John Lennon: Well it's easy if you try, Dick.
* * *
Forrest Gump: Then, Bubba said something I won't ever forget.
Bubba: I wanna go home.
Forrest Gump: Bubba was my best good friend. And even I know that ain't something you can find just around the corner. Bubba was going to be a shrimping boat captain, but instead, he died right there by that river in Vietnam.
* * *
Forrest Gump: Mama always said, God is mysterious. He didn't turn Jenny into a bird that day. But instead - he had the po-lice say Jenny didn't have to stay in that house no more. She went to live with her grandma, just over on Creekmore Avenue. And that made me happy, because she was close. And some nights she'd sneak out and come on over to my house, because she said she was scared. It may have been because of her grandma's dog, or somethin'.
* * *
Forrest Gump: Sometimes, I guess there just aren't enough rocks.
* * *
Forrest Gump: My momma always said you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes, where they go, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes, I bet if I think about it real hard I can remember my first pair of shoes.
* * *
Forrest Gump: The best thing about visiting the President is the food! Now, since it was all free, and I wasn't hungry but thirsty, I must've drank me fifteen Dr. Peppers.
* * *
Forrest Gump: Now you wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I could run like the wind blows. From that day on, if I was going somewhere, I was running!
* * *
Young Forrest Gump: Mama. What's vacation?
Mrs. Gump: Vacation's when you go somewhere... and you never come back.
* * *
Mrs. Gump: Remember what I told you, Forrest. You're no different than anybody else is. Did you hear what I said, Forrest? You're the same as everybody else. You are no different.
Principal: Your boy's... different, Miz Gump. His IQ's 75.
Mrs. Gump: Well, we're all different, Mr. Hancock. There must be something that can be done?
Principal: Is there a Mr. Gump, Miz Gump?
Mrs. Gump: He's on vacation.
* * *
Forrest Gump: Some people don't think miracles happen, well, they do.
* * *
Forrest Gump: You know it's funny what a young man recollects? 'Cause I don't remember bein' born. I don't recall what I got for my first Christmas and I don't know when I went on my first outdoor picnic. But I do remember the first time I heard the sweetest voice in the wide world.
* * *
Forrest Gump: Jenny taught me how to climb. And I taught her how to dangle.
* * *
Forrest Gump: She got the cancer and died on a Tuesday. I bought her a new hat with little flowers on it. And that's all I have to say about that.
* * *
Jenny Curran: Do you think I could fly off this bridge, Forrest?
Forrest Gump: What do you mean, Jenny?
Jenny Curran: Nothing.
* * *
Jenny Curran: You can't keep trying to rescue me all the time.
Forrest Gump: They was trying to grab you.
Jenny Curran: A lot of people try to grab me.
* * *
Forrest Gump: Her dream had come true. She was a folk singer.
* * *
Recruit Officer: Have you given any thought to your future, son?
Forrest Gump: "Thought"?
* * *
You may see the trailer here.


Plot: 9/10
Entertainment: 10/10
Acting: 8/10
Originality: 9/10
Music and Sound: 8/10

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment