Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)


"The Fairytale is Over"


Directed by Rupert Sanders
Produced by Sam Mercer, Joe Roth
Screenplay by Hossein Amini, Evan Daugherty, John Lee Hancock
Story by Evan Daugherty
Based on "Snow White" by the Brothers Grimm
Starring: Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth, Sam Claflin, Ian McShane, Bob Hoskins, Ray Winstone, Nick Frost, Sam Spruell
Music by James Newton Howard
Cinematography: Greig Fraser
Edited by Conrad Buff, Neil Smith
Production company: Roth Films
Distributed by Universal Pictures
Release date: 30 May 2012 (United Kingdom)
Running time: 127 minutes
Country: United Kingdom, United States
Budget: $170 million
Box office: $396.6 million


"Snow White and the Huntsman" is a fantasy action adventure film directed by Rupert Sanders, written by Hossein Amini, Evan Daugherty, John Lee Hancock and based on the German fairy tale "Snow White". The story is about Snow White, a princess who escapes from her evil stepmother, Queen Ravenna, who wants to get rid of her with the help of Eric, the Huntsman.


Cast
  • Kristen Stewart as Snow White
  • Raffey Cassidy as young Snow White
  • Charlize Theron as Queen Ravenna, the Evil Queen
  • Izzy Meikle-Small as young Ravenna
  • Chris Hemsworth as Eric, the Huntsman
  • Sam Claflin as William, son of Duke Hammond
  • Xavier Atkins as young William
  • Sam Spruell as Finn
  • Elliot Reeve as young Finn
  • Ian McShane as Beith
  • Bob Hoskins as Muir
  • Ray Winstone as Gort
  • Nick Frost as Nion
  • Toby Jones as Coll
  • Eddie Marsan as Duir
  • Johnny Harris as Quert
  • Brian Gleeson as Gus
  • Vincent Regan as Duke Hammond
  • Lily Cole as Greta
  • Noah Huntley as King Magnus
  • Liberty Ross as Queen Eleanor
  • Christopher Obi as the voice of Mirror Man, the physical form of the Magic Mirror
  • Rachael Stirling as Anna
  • Hattie Gotobed as Lily
  • Greg Hicks as Black Knight General
  • Peter Ferdinando as Black Knight
  • Anastasia Hille as Ravenna's mother


To start with, I need to mention that I'm not a big fun of such films: colourful and naive fairy tales with trivial characters and a predictable ending. But strange though I quite liked it probably because of wonderful special effects, soundtracks and the dark side of an old story. Unfortunately, that's all good I can say as neither acting nor dialogues made me glad. So the main reasons to watch the film are splendid Chris Hemsworth and charming Charlize Theron as well as Kristen Stewart and Sam Claflin's performances in the pretty new (for them) roles.


Advantages
  • Kristen Stewart as Snow White
  • Charlize Theron as Queen Ravenna, the Evil Queen
  • Chris Hemsworth as Eric, the Huntsman
  • Sam Claflin as William, son of Duke Hammond
  • Lily Cole as Greta
  • Visual effects

Disadvantages
  • Too slow moving and boring at times
  • Dialogues
  • Acting

"Strangenesses"
  •  Eric's kiss of "true love" but Snow White's wedding with William

Clue Moments
  • Three drops of blood
  • King Magnus' death
  • Snow White's imprisonment
  • Snow White's escape
  • The Dark Forest
  • The fight with Finn
  • The apple
  • The kiss
  • Snow White as a warrior
  • Ravenna's death


Soundtracks
  1. James Newton Howard - Snow White 
  2. James Newton Howard - I'll Take Your Throne
  3. James Newton Howard - Tower Prayers 
  4. James Newton Howard - Something for What Ails You
  5. James Newton Howard - Escape from the Tower 
  6. James Newton Howard - You Failed Me Finn 
  7. James Newton Howard - White Horse 
  8. James Newton Howard - Journey to Fenland 
  9. James Newton Howard - Fenland in Flames 
  10. James Newton Howard - Sanctuary 
  11. James Newton Howard - White Hart 
  12. Ioanna Gika - Gone 
  13. James Newton Howard - I Remember That Trick 
  14. James Newton Howard - Death Favors No Man
  15. James Newton Howard - Warriors on the Beach 
  16. James Newton Howard - You Can Not Defeat Me
  17. James Newton Howard - You Can't Have My Heart 
  18. James Newton Howard - Coronation 
  19. Florence + the Machine - Breath of Life 


Quotations
* * *
The Huntsman: [to a sleeping Snow White] You deserved better. I once had a wife, Princess. Sara was her name. When I came back from the wars I carried with me the stench of death and the anger of the lost. I wasn't worth saving, that's for sure. She did so anyway. And I loved her so much. I loved her more than anyone or anything. Then I let her out of my sight and she was gone. And I became myself again. A self I never cared for. Until you. See, you remind me of her. Her heart, her spirit. But now you, too, have gone. You both deserved better and I'm so sorry I failed you. I'm so sorry. But you'll be a queen in Heaven now and sit among the angels.
[kisses Snow White]
* * *
The Huntsman: [narration] Once upon a time, in deep winter, a queen was admiring the falling snow, when she saw a rose blooming in defiance of the cold. Reaching for it she pricked her finger and three drops of blood fell. And because the red seemed so alive against the white she thought, "If only I had a child as white as snow, lips as red as blood, hair as black as a raven's wings, and all with the strength of that rose." Soon after a daughter was born to the queen and was named Snow White.
* * *
Queen Ravenna: Lips red as blood, hair black as night, bring me your heart, my dear, dear Snow White.
* * *
Queen Ravenna: You are one of the few who has ventured into the dark forest. One of my prisoners has escaped there.
The Huntsman: Then he is dead.
Queen Ravenna: She.
The Huntsman: Then she is certainly dead.
* * *
The Huntsman: Can't you see I'm having a bath?
* * *
William: She hasn't changed. She has that same light inside her. You must see it.
The Huntsman: You'd be blind if you didn't.
William: I've thought about her every day since I lost her. I can hardly believe I found her.
The Huntsman: You should tell her how you feel. It'd be good for her.
William: No. I wouldn't know how.
The Huntsman: You not telling someone something like that and living with the regret is a lot worse.
* * *
Coll: I don't like killing girls.
Duir: I do!
* * *
Young Snow White: You're so beautiful.
Queen Ravenna: That's kind, child. Especially when it's said that yours is the face of true beauty in this kingdom. This all must be difficult for you. I too lost my mother when I was a young girl. I can never take your mother's place, ever. But I feel that you and I are bound. I feel it there, your heart.
* * *
Snow White: Do you drink to drown your sorrows? Or your conscience?
The Huntsman: What concern is it of yours why I drink?
Snow White: I suppose a man's sorrows are his own.
The Huntsman: What does a young girl like you know about sorrow?
* * *
Finn: I admire your fight, Huntsman. Your wife was the same.
The Huntsman: What do you know of my wife?
Finn: I remember them all. But especially the ones with fight. She screamed your name but you weren't there. Now you can beg her forgiveness in the other world.
* * *
The Huntsman: The forest gains its strength from your weakness.
* * *
The Huntsman: Why didn't you tell me? Because I'd think it was too difficult a task? You would be right.
Snow White: I didn't trust you. I'm sorry.
* * *
Snow White: I would rather die than live another day in this death!
* * *
Gort: We used to have pride. Now we just pilfer and drink and dream about when we didn't. Every man here would die for the chance of becoming that man again. So we follow you, Princess, in life and in death and we shall have our pride again. On Gus' soul on this, I swear.
* * *
Snow White: William. It's as if nothing's changed here. The world seems beautiful again.
William: It will be when you are queen. The people of this kingdom hate Ravenna with every fiber.
Snow White: I used to hate her. Now I feel only sorrow.
William: Once people find out you're alive they will rise up in your name.
Snow White: It takes more than a name.
William: You are your father's daughter. The rightful heir. If I had a choice I'd take you far away. Keep you safe by my side. But I have a duty and so do you.
Snow White: How do I inspire? How will I lead men?
William: The way you led me when we were children. I followed you everywhere. I ran when you called. I would have done anything for you.
Snow White: That's not how I remember it. We used to fight all the time. And argue.
* * *
Queen Ravenna: You see, child, love always betrays us. By fairest blood it was done and only by fairest blood can it be undone. You were the only one who could break the spell and destroy me. And the only one pure enough to save me. You don't even realize how lucky you are never to know what it is to grow old!
* * *
Mirror Man: Snow White. She is the reason your powers wane.
* * *
Queen Eleanor: [to young Snow White] You posses a rare beauty, my love, in here. Never lose it. It will serve you well when you are queen.
* * *
The Huntsman: I told you to run.
Snow White: If I had, you'd be dead.
* * *
Queen Ravenna: You were the only one who could break the spell and destroy me, and the only one pure enough to save me.
* * *
Queen Ravenna: I was ruined by a king like you once. I replaced his queen. An old woman. And in time I too would have been replaced. Men use women. They ruin us and when they are finished with us they toss us to the dogs like scraps.
* * *
Queen Ravenna: How is it that an innocent, young girl makes a fool of my brother? Armed only with a nail. If she'd had a sword she would have taken my kingdom. Bring me the King's daughter and you let her slip right through your tiny little fingers. How? You swore that you would protect me! You swore! Now there's no one I can trust. No one! There's no loyalty, no loyalty. None! Not even from you!
* * *
Anna: Our scars protect us. Without beauty we are worthless to the Queen. It's a sacrifice we made so we could raise our children in peace while their fathers are at war. And you, your sacrifice will come.
* * *
Snow White: Where are we?
Gus: They call it sanctuary, my lady. It's the home of the fairies.
* * *
Queen Ravenna: Then let them come. Let them break their skulls on these stone walls and bring me my prize.
* * *
Queen Ravenna: You will do this for me, Huntsman!
The Huntsman: And if I refuse?
* * *
Anna: Only demons or spirits pass through the Dark Forest. Which are you?
The Huntsman: We're fugitives from the Queen.
Snow White: We mean you no harm.
* * *
You may see the trailer here.


Plot: 6/10
Entertainment: 7/10
Acting: 6/10
Originality: 7/10
Music and Sound: 7/10

6/10



No comments:

Post a Comment