Sunday, January 18, 2015

Colin Farrell


Colin James Farrell 

31 May 1976


An Irish actor. Colin Farrell was inspired to try acting when E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial moved him to tears. With his brother's encouragement he attended the Gaiety School of Acting, dropping out when he was cast as Danny Byrne on Ballykissangel, a BBC television drama about a young English priest who becomes part of an Irish rural community. 
On a trip to Australia, Colin Farrell was discovered in Sydney by Hume Theatre Company and cast in the role of Stevie Hart in their original production of "Kelly's Reign". 
In 2000, Farrell was cast in the lead role of Private Roland Bozz in "Tigerland", an under-released film directed by American Joel Schumacher. He reportedly got the part on the basis of his charm. Emanuel Levy of Variety said that the actor "shines as the subversive yet basically decent lad whose cynicism may be the only sane reaction to a situation". Michael Holden of The Guardian wrote that the actor was "too much the hero" to fit the classic rebel archetype properly, but he did not mind. "Tigerland" earned $139,500.


As actor
  • Drinking Crude Click (1997)
  • The War Zone (1999)
  • Ordinary Decent Criminal (2000)
  • Tigerland (2000)
  • American Outlaws (2001)
  • Hart's War (2002)
  • Minority Report (2002)
  • Veronica Guerin (2003)
  • Daredevil (2003)
  • Phone Booth (2003)
  • The Recruit (2003)
  • S.W.A.T. (2003)
  • Intermission (2003)
  • A Home at the End of the World (2004)
  • Alexander (2004)
  • The New World (2005)
  • Miami Vice (2006)
  • Ask the Dust (2006)
  • Cassandra's Dream (2007)
  • Pride and Glory (2008)
  • In Bruges (2008)
  • Ondine (2009)
  • Triage (2009)
  • Crazy Heart (2009)
  • The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)
  • The Way Back (2010)
  • London Boulevard (2010)
  • Horrible Bosses (2011)
  • Fright Night (2011)
  • Total Recall (2012)
  • Seven Psychopaths (2012)
  • Dead Man Down (2013)
  • Epic (2013)
  • Saving Mr. Banks (2013)
  • Winter's Tale (2014)
  • Miss Julie (2014)
  • The Lobster (2015)
  • Solace (2015)
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)
  • The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)
  • The Beguiled (2017)


Quotations
* * *
Being Irish is very much a part of who I am. I take it everywhere with me.
* * *
But we're born as children and we look at the world with open eyes... And we don't judge and we don't betray. We're not jealous. We're not envious. We're not even weary, which is a danger also as kids. They have to learn a certain amount of awareness.
* * *
You spend so much time in your head in life. And what yoga does is, it asks you to allow your head to be quiet, to allow it to be still, just for an hour and a half. Just deal with your body and your breath. And it's a great workout. I love it.
* * *
I will say that as I get older and calmer and quieter in my own self, the one quality in a woman that I find more and more attractive is kindness. A sense of adventure and humor is important too, but I truly find kindness and consideration for others to be the most attractive thing in anyone.
* * *
I mean, we are tribal by nature, and sometimes success and material wealth can divide and separate - it's not a new philosophy I'm sharing - more than hardship, hardship tends to unify.
* * *
It's not that I'm stupid. I just don't think sometimes.
* * *
I know what the important things are in life. I know that just because I pretend to be someone else for two hours on the silver screen doesn't make me a better person than the next man. So, I mind all those things. Simple things.
* * *
But I dare not think too far into the future on the risk that I'll miss the present.
* * *
I love the grandiosity, how sweepingly entertaining films can be. And I think there's a place for films that pry more into the human condition.
* * *
I'm in no hurry to get anywhere. I don't have any plans. I don't have a map. If you did in this business, you'd destroy yourself.
* * *
Life is apogee, apex, decline; life is death - and everything else is open to discussion.
* * *
The sea always offers up incredible stories of survivors' fortitude. Myths of a lot of countries have variations on that.
* * *
The first time you hold your baby in your arms, I mean, a sense of strength and love washes over you. It washed over me and I never thought that possible.
* * *
Pain seems to be easier, or melancholy seems to be easier to portray in a character. I don't know if that's because I'm a human being or because I'm an Irishman or both.
* * *
I'm not keen on cars and motorbikes. I tried to be a biker, but it wasn't me - I bought a Harley-Davidson and dumped it.
* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment