Friday, November 20, 2015

The Hunger Games (2012)


"May the Odds be Ever in your Favor"


Directed by Gary Ross
Produced by Nina Jacobson, Jon Kilik
Written by Gary Ross, Suzanne Collins, Billy Ray
Based on "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Lenny Kravitz, Stanley Tucci, Donald Sutherland
Music by James Newton Howard
Cinematography: Tom Stern
Edited by Stephen Mirrione, Juliette Welfling
Production company: Color Force
Distributed by Lionsgate
Release date: 23 March 2012 (United States)
Running time: 142 minutes
Country: United States
Budget: $78 million
Box office: $694.4 million



"The Hunger Games" is an action science fiction adventure film directed by Gary Ross and written by Gary Ross, Suzanne Collins, Billy Ray, based on "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. It's the first installment of the "The Hunger Games" film series which follows Katniss Everdeen who voluntarily takes her younger sister's place in the Hunger Games, a televised competition in which two teenagers from each of the twelve Districts of Panem are chosen at random to fight to the death.


Cast
  • Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen
  • Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark
  • Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne
  • Woody Harrelson as Haymitch Abernathy
  • Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket
  • Lenny Kravitz as Cinna
  • Donald Sutherland as President Coriolanus Snow
  • Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman
  • Wes Bentley as Seneca Crane
  • Toby Jones as Claudius Templesmith
  • Alexander Ludwig as Cato
  • Isabelle Fuhrman as Clove
  • Amandla Stenberg as Rue
  • Jack Quaid as Marvel
  • Leven Rambin as Glimmer
  • Dayo Okeniyi as Thresh
  • Jacqueline Emerson as Foxface
  • Willow Shields as Primrose Everdeen
  • Paula Malcomson as Mrs Everdeen


The first I heard about the beginning of the new film series I'd thought: "Well, it must be something similar to slushy Twilight". But, frankly speaking, it didn't turn out exactly like that. Yes, "The Hunger Games" is an adaptation of Suzanne Collins' bestseller of the same name which follows the adventures of 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen with her problems, however, they aren't limited just by boys - she's also trying to disobey the government, help people and find her own place in the world. What's more, fortunately there's more action, fights and the revolted spirit than silly love lines which in turn are shown like a part of the competitions. If all of these reasons don't seem enough, think once again: the main character is a strong and self-dependent girl, not a poor thing who doesn't know what to do - and it's one of the biggest advantage for me.

As for the cast, it shines with not the last names. Firstly, Jennifer Lawrence, yesterday's rising star and today's true celebrity, shines bright like a diamond, so it's a real joy to watch her acting. I can't say that I love Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark but let's see how he will play in the continuation and only then judge. Charming Liam Hemsworth appears too little in this part and that's a pity, really. Woody Harrelson as long-haired and forever drunk Haymitch Abernathy enchants from the first minute, although his character doesn't look very outstanding, what can't be said about eccentric Effie Trinket performed by Elizabeth Banks. Any more special mentions? Of course, fascinating Lenny Kravitz with gold eyeliner and blue-haired Stanley Tucci full of charisma.


Advantages
  • Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen
  • Woody Harrelson as Haymitch Abernathy
  • Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket
  • Lenny Kravitz as Cinna
  • Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman
  • Music
  • Strong female characters

Disadvantages
  • A new teenage film series?

"Strangenesses"
  • What is the history of Panem? When has totalitarianism begun?

Clue Moments
  • The Hunger Games
  • The first volunteer
  • Fire dresses
  • Peeta's acknowledgement
  • Trainings
  • Rue's death
  • Wild beasts
  • Poisonous Nightlock


Fight or give up - our everyday's choice, strangely enough it may seem. Get up or sleep few minutes more? Answer or keep silence? Go somewhere or stay at home? If even these questions aren't always easy in our world, imagine what must Katniss go through: she decides not only to survive in the Games but also to turn against cruel totalitarianism. Defiantly? Yes, for sure. But who wants to live like a slave and be afraid during the whole life? Many people chooses this onefold way but not Everdeen - and that's why it's exciting to watch "The Hunger Games".


Soudntracks
  1. James Newton Howard - The Hunger Games
  2. James Newton Howard - Katniss Afoot
  3. James Newton Howard - Reaping Day
  4. James Newton Howard - The Train
  5. James Newton Howard - Entering The Capitol
  6. James Newton Howard - Preparing The Chariots
  7. James Newton Howard - Horn Of Plenty
  8. James Newton Howard - Penthouse/Training
  9. James Newton Howard - Learning The Skills
  10. James Newton Howard - The Countdown
  11. James Newton Howard - Booby Trap
  12. James Newton Howard - Healing Katniss
  13. James Newton Howard - Rue's Farewell
  14. James Newton Howard - We Could Go Home
  15. James Newton Howard - Searching For Peeta
  16. James Newton Howard - The Cave
  17. James Newton Howard - Muttations
  18. James Newton Howard - Tenuous Winners/Returning Home


Quotations
* * *
Peeta Mellark: So what happens when we get back?
Katniss Everdeen: I don't know. I guess we try to forget.
Peeta Mellark: I don't wanna forget.
* * *
Katniss Everdeen: What the hell was that? You don't talk to me and then you say you have a crush on me? You say you want to train alone? Is this how you want to play? Huh?
Haymitch Abernathy: Stop! Stop it!
Katniss Everdeen: Let's start right now!
* * *
President Snow: Seneca... why do you think we have a winner?
Seneca Crane: [frowns] What do you mean?
President Snow: I mean, why do we have a winner? I mean, if we just wanted to intimidate the districts, why not round up twenty-four of them at random and execute them all at once? Be a lot faster.
[Seneca just stares, confused]
President Snow: Hope.
Seneca Crane: Hope?
President Snow: Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear. A little hope is effective. A lot of hope is dangerous. A spark is fine, as long as it's contained.
Seneca Crane: So...?
President Snow: So, CONTAIN it.
* * *
President Snow: An eleven?
Seneca Crane: She earned it.
President Snow: She shot an arrow at your head.
Seneca Crane: Well, at an apple.
President Snow: Near your head.
* * *
Haymitch Abernathy: Nice shooting, sweetheart. What-what-what did they... what did they do when you... shot the apple?
Katniss Everdeen: Well, they looked pretty startled.
* * *
Katniss Everdeen: I volunteer! I volunteer! I volunteer as tribute!
Effie Trinket: [pause] Uh... I believe we have a volunteer.
* * *
Katniss Everdeen: Listen to them.
Peeta Mellark: Yeah. I just don't want them to change me.
Katniss Everdeen: How will they change you?
Peeta Mellark: I don't know. Turn me into something I'm not. I-I-I just don't want to be another piece in their game, you know?
Katniss Everdeen: You mean you won't kill anyone?
Peeta Mellark: No... I mean, you know, I'm sure I would just like anybody else when the time came, but I just keep wishing I could think of a way to show them that they don't own me. You know, if I'm gonna die, I wanna still be me. Does that make any sense?
Katniss Everdeen: Yeah. I just can't afford to think like that. I have my sister.
Peeta Mellark: Yeah, I know.
[looks at each other]
Peeta Mellark: [sighs] Guess I'll see you tomorrow.
Katniss Everdeen: See you tomorrow.
* * *
Katniss Everdeen: You need to get out of here. You need to get out of here.
Primrose Everdeen: No...
Katniss Everdeen: Go find mom!
Primrose Everdeen: No!
Katniss Everdeen: Prim, go find mom right now!
Primrose Everdeen: No!
Katniss Everdeen: I'm so sorry.
Primrose Everdeen: No!
Katniss Everdeen: Go find mom!
Primrose Everdeen: No!
Katniss Everdeen: Prim, leave before...
Primrose Everdeen: No!
[Gale grabs Prim and pulls her away]
Primrose Everdeen: NO! NO! NOOOO!
* * *
Haymitch Abernathy: I don't know how else to put this: Make sure they remember you.
* * *
Katniss Everdeen: How many times is your name in today?
Gale Hawthorne: Forty-two. Guess the odds aren't exactly in my favor.
* * *
Primrose Everdeen: Wish I looked like you.
Katniss Everdeen: Oh, no. I wish I looked like YOU, little duck.
* * *
Primrose Everdeen: Just try to win. Maybe you can.
Katniss Everdeen: Of course. Maybe I can. I am smart, you know.
Primrose Everdeen: And you can hunt.
Katniss Everdeen: Exactly.
* * *
Haymitch Abernathy: They're not happy with you.
Katniss Everdeen: Why, 'cause I didn't die?
* * *
Peeta Mellark: You definitely smell better than I do.
Caesar Flickerman: Well, I've lived here longer.
Peeta Mellark: That makes sense.
* * *
Fox Face: I think that if I can apply myself to the situation at present, I will be able to figure it out.
* * *
Cinna: Did they explain about trying to get sponsors?
Katniss Everdeen: Yeah, but I'm not very good at making friends.
Cinna: We'll see.
* * *
Katniss Everdeen: Wanna see what I got you today? It's a mockingjay pin, to protect you. And as long as you have it, nothing bad will happen to you, okay? I promise.
* * *
Peeta Mellark: What was that?
Katniss Everdeen: It's the finale.
* * *
Effie Trinket: [angrily scolding Katniss] You realize that your actions reflect badly on all of us, not just you.
Cinna: They just want a good show. It's fine.
Effie Trinket: How about it's just bad manners, Cinna? How about THAT?
* * *
Haymitch Abernathy: Look at you! Just killed a... place mat!
* * *
Haymitch Abernathy: Embrace the probability of your imminent death, and know in your heart that there's nothing I can do to save you.
* * *
Katniss Everdeen: What's that? What's that?
Flavius: Oh, we're just saying we might need to hose you down again before we take you to Cinna.
* * *
Haymitch Abernathy: This is the time to show them everything. There'll be a bow. Make sure you use it. Peeta, you make sure to show your strength.
* * *
Seneca Crane: Everyone likes an underdog.
President Snow: I don't.
* * *
Cinna: It's not real fire. These suits are built so you won't feel a thing.
* * *
Cinna: Are you ready? Don't be afraid.
Katniss Everdeen: I'm not afraid.
* * *
Katniss Everdeen: So you're here to make me look pretty.
Cinna: I'm here to help you make an impression.
* * *
Effie Trinket: What's your name?
Katniss Everdeen: Katniss Everdeen.
Effie Trinket: Well, I bet my hat that was your sister, wasn't it?
Katniss Everdeen: Yes.
* * *
Effie Trinket: I hope you noticed we have a serious situation!
* * *
Haymitch Abernathy: Gimme a chance to wake up, sweetheart. This mentoring is very... taxing stuff.
* * *
President Snow: Welcome, and happy Hunger Games.
* * *
You may see the trailer here.


Plot: 7/10
Entertainment: 8/10
Acting: 7/10
Originality: 7/10
Music and Sound: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment