Sunday, September 13, 2015

Gone with the Wind (1939)


"The greatest romance of all time!"


Directed by Victor Fleming
Produced by David O. Selznick
Screenplay by Sidney Howard
Based on "Gone with the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell
Starring: Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh, Leslie Howard, Olivia de Havilland
Music by Max Steiner
Cinematography: Ernest Haller
Edited by Hal C. Kern, James E. Newcom
Production companies: Selznick International Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
Distributed by Loew's, Inc.
Release date: 17 December 1939 (United States)
Running time: 221 minutes (234–238 minutes - with overture, intermission, entr'acte, and exit music)
Country: United States
Budget: $3.85 million
Box office: $390 million


"Gone with the Wind" is a romance drama war film directed by Victor Fleming and adapted from Margaret Mitchell's novel. The film tells the story of Scarlett O'Hara, the strong-willed daughter of a Georgia plantation owner, from her romantic pursuit of Ashley Wilkes, who is married to his cousin, Melanie Hamilton, to her marriage to Rhett Butler. Set against the backdrop of the American Civil War and Reconstruction era, the story is told from the perspective of rich white Southerners.


Cast
  • Thomas Mitchell as Gerald O'Hara
  • Barbara O'Neil as Ellen O'Hara
  • Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara
  • Evelyn Keyes as Suellen O'Hara
  • Ann Rutherford as Carreen O'Hara
  • George Reeves as Brent Tarleton
  • Fred Crane as Stuart Tarleton
  • Hattie McDaniel as Mammy 
  • Oscar Polk as Pork 
  • Butterfly McQueen as Prissy
  • Victor Jory as Jonas Wilkerson 
  • Everett Brown as Big Sam 
  • Howard Hickman as John Wilkes
  • Alicia Rhett as India Wilkes
  • Leslie Howard as Ashley Wilkes
  • Olivia de Havilland as Melanie Hamilton 
  • Rand Brooks as Charles Hamilton
  • Carroll Nye as Frank Kennedy
  • Clark Gable as Rhett Butler 
  • Laura Hope Crews as Aunt Pittypat Hamilton
  • Eddie Anderson as Uncle Peter
  • Harry Davenport as Doctor Meade
  • Leona Roberts as Mrs. Meade
  • Jane Darwell as Mrs. Merriwether
  • Ona Munson as Belle Watling
  • Paul Hurst as the Yankee deserter
  • Cammie King Conlon as Bonnie Blue Butler
  • J. M. Kerrigan as Johnny Gallagher
  • Jackie Moran as Phil Meade
  • Lillian Kemble-Cooper as Bonnie's nurse in London
  • Marcella Martin as Cathleen Calvert
  • Mickey Kuhn as Beau Wilkes
  • Irving Bacon as the Corporal
  • William Bakewell as the mounted officer
  • Isabel Jewell as Emmie Slattery
  • Eric Linden as the amputation case
  • Cliff Edwards as the reminiscent soldier
  • Yakima Canutt as the renegade
  • Louis Jean Heydt as the hungry soldier holding Beau Wilkes
  • Olin Howland as the carpetbagger businessman
  • Robert Elliott as the Yankee major
  • Mary Anderson as Maybelle Merriwether


The picture is so classic that it doesn't matter when it was filmed. Good acting, wonderful music, a story of love and war, Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable - and that's the minimum reasons why it's necessary to see it. I know I have to say much more about the film but I just can't find more right words than "watch and enjoy every minute".


Advantages
  • Music
  • The story
  • Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara
  • Hattie McDaniel as Mammy
  • Leslie Howard as Ashley Wilkes
  • Olivia de Havilland as Melanie Hamilton 
  • Clark Gable as Rhett Butler

Disadvantages
  • From time to time acting seems too 

"Strangenesses"
  • Why Scarlett doesn't want to be with Rhett?

Clue Moments
  • The plantation Twelve Oaks
  • The war
  • Bonnie's death
  • Melanie's death
  • Three Scarlett's marriages
  • Tara
  • The hospital
  • The green hat
  • Melanie's childbirth


It's much easier to love your love, your illusion than to try to be with a person who loves you. Scarlett devoted her life to dreams about Ashley - exactly dreams, not him. And during her whole life she didn't want to see a real man near her - Rhett who loved her. However even such a handsome man couldn't gain a battle with Scarlett's mare's-nest.

But is it a right way? Phantoms are lovely and fragile instead of real love which is eternal so why Scarlett decided to be with Ashley in her dreams in exchange for staying with Rhett? Reality is less perfect than illusions which always go with the wind.


The Civil War is the central event in America's historical consciousness. While the Revolution of 1776-1783 created the United States, the Civil War of 1861-1865 determined what kind of nation it would be. The war resolved two fundamental questions left unresolved by the revolution: whether the United States was to be a dissolvable confederation of sovereign states or an indivisible nation with a sovereign national government; and whether this nation, born of a declaration that all men were created with an equal right to liberty, would continue to exist as the largest slaveholding country in the world.

Northern victory in the war preserved the United States as one nation and ended the institution of slavery that had divided the country from its beginning. But these achievements came at the cost of 625,000 lives--nearly as many American soldiers as died in all the other wars in which this country has fought combined. The American Civil War was the largest and most destructive conflict in the Western world between the end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815 and the onset of World War I in 1914.

The Civil War started because of uncompromising differences between the free and slave states over the power of the national government to prohibit slavery in the territories that had not yet become states. When Abraham Lincoln won election in 1860 as the first Republican president on a platform pledging to keep slavery out of the territories, seven slave states in the deep South seceded and formed a new nation, the Confederate States of America. The incoming Lincoln administration and most of the Northern people refused to recognize the legitimacy of secession. They feared that it would discredit democracy and create a fatal precedent that would eventually fragment the no-longer United States into several small, squabbling countries.

The event that triggered war came at Fort Sumter in Charleston Bay on April 12, 1861. Claiming this United States fort as their own, the Confederate army on that day opened fire on the federal garrison and forced it to lower the American flag in surrender. Lincoln called out the militia to suppress this "insurrection." Four more slave states seceded and joined the Confederacy. By the end of 1861 nearly a million armed men confronted each other along a line stretching 1200 miles from Virginia to Missouri. Several battles had already taken place--near Manassas Junction in Virginia, in the mountains of western Virginia where Union victories paved the way for creation of the new state of West Virginia, at Wilson's Creek in Missouri, at Cape Hatteras in North Carolina, and at Port Royal in South Carolina where the Union navy established a base for a blockade to shut off the Confederacy's access to the outside world.

But the real fighting began in 1862. Huge battles like Shiloh in Tennessee, Gaines' Mill, Second Manassas, and Fredericksburg in Virginia, and Antietam in Maryland foreshadowed even bigger campaigns and battles in subsequent years, from Gettysburg in Pennsylvania to Vicksburg on the Mississippi to Chickamauga and Atlanta in Georgia. By 1864 the original Northern goal of a limited war to restore the Union had given way to a new strategy of "total war" to destroy the Old South and its basic institution of slavery and to give the restored Union a "new birth of freedom," as President Lincoln put it in his address at Gettysburg to dedicate a cemetery for Union soldiers killed in the battle there.

For three long years, from 1862 to 1865, Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia staved off invasions and attacks by the Union Army of the Potomac commanded by a series of ineffective generals until Ulysses S. Grant came to Virginia from the Western theater to become general in chief of all Union armies in 1864. After bloody battles at places with names like The Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, and Petersburg, Grant finally brought Lee to bay at Appomattox in April 1865. In the meantime Union armies and river fleets in the theater of war comprising the slave states west of the Appalachian Mountain chain won a long series of victories over Confederate armies commanded by hapless or unlucky Confederate generals. In 1864-1865 General William Tecumseh Sherman led his army deep into the Confederate heartland of Georgia and South Carolina, destroying their economic infrastructure while General George Thomas virtually destroyed the Confederacy's Army of Tennessee at the battle of Nashville.

By the spring of 1865 all the principal Confederate armies surrendered, and when Union cavalry captured the fleeing Confederate President Jefferson Davis in Georgia on May 10, 1865, resistance collapsed and the war ended. The long, painful process of rebuilding a united nation free of slavery began.


Soundtracks
  1. Max Steiner - Overture
  2. Max Steiner - Tara's Theme - Main Title
  3. Max Steiner - Mammy
  4. Max Steiner - The Barbecue At Twelve Oaks
  5. Max Steiner - Ashley And Scarlett
  6. Max Steiner - The Ball
  7. Max Steiner - Christmas During The War In Atlanta
  8. Max Steiner - The Fall Of The South
  9. Max Steiner - I'll Never Be Hungry Again
  10. Max Steiner - Entr'acte Music
  11. Max Steiner - Sherman's March Through Georgia
  12. Max Steiner - Reconstruction
  13. Max Steiner - Ashley's Return From The War
  14. Max Steiner - Scarlett And Rhett Rebuild Tara
  15. Max Steiner - Belle Watling
  16. Max Steiner - Rhett And Bonnie
  17. Max Steiner - Scarlett's Fall - Rett's Remorse
  18. Max Steiner - Bonnie's Fatal Pony Ride
  19. Max Steiner - Melanie's Death
  20. Max Steiner - Rhett's Departure
  21. Max Steiner - Finale - Tomorrow Is Another Day
  22. Max Steiner - Exit Music


                                          Quotations
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: Rhett, Rhett... Rhett, if you go, where shall I go? What shall I do?
                                          Rhett Butler: Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
                                          * * *
                                          Rhett Butler: You're like the thief who isn't the least bit sorry he stole, but is terribly, terribly sorry he's going to jail.
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: Rhett, don't. I shall faint.
                                          Rhett Butler: I want you to faint. This is what you were meant for. None of the fools you've ever know have kissed you like this, have they? Your Charles, or your Frank, or your stupid Ashley.
                                          * * *
                                          Rhett Butler: I can't go all my life waiting to catch you between husbands.
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: Sir, you are no gentleman.
                                          Rhett Butler: And you, Miss, are no lady.
                                          * * *
                                          Gerald O'Hara: Do you mean to tell me, Katie Scarlett O'Hara, that Tara, that land doesn't mean anything to you? Why, land is the only thing in the world worth workin' for, worth fightin' for, worth dyin' for, because it's the only thing that lasts.
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow.
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: Tara! Home. I'll go home. And I'll think of some way to get him back. After all... tomorrow is another day.
                                          * * *
                                          Rhett Butler: With enough courage, you can do without a reputation.
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: [to Rhett] If I said I was madly in love with you you'd know I was lying.
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: I only know that I love you.
                                          Rhett Butler: That's your misfortune.
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: Rhett, how could you do this to me, and why should you go now that, after it's all over and I need you, why? Why?
                                          Rhett Butler: Why? Maybe it's because I've always had a weakness for lost causes, once they're really lost. Or maybe, maybe I'm ashamed of myself. Who knows?
                                          * * *
                                          Rhett Butler: Take a good look my dear. It's an historic moment you can tell your grandchildren about - how you watched the Old South fall one night.
                                          * * *
                                          Rhett Butler: Open your eyes and look at me. No, I don't think I will kiss you. Although you need kissing badly. That's what's wrong with you. You should be kissed and often and by someone who knows how.
                                          Scarlett: And I suppose you think you're the proper person.
                                          Rhett Butler: I might be... if the right moment ever came.
                                          Scarlett: You're a conceited, blackhearted varmint Rhett Butler. I don't know why I let come and see me.
                                          Rhett Butler: I'll tell you why, Scarlett. Because I'm the only man over sixteen and under sixty who's around to show you a good time.
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: Great balls of fire. Don't bother me anymore, and don't call me sugar.
                                          * * *
                                          Rhett Butler: Why, all we have is cotton and slaves and arrogance.
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: I can't let Tara go. I won't let it go while there's a breath left in my body.
                                          * * *
                                          Rhett Butler: Now that you've got your lumber mill and Frank's money, you won't come to me as you did to the jail, so I see I shall have to marry you.
                                          Scarlett: I never heard of such bad taste.
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: My life is over. Nothing will ever happen to me anymore.
                                          * * *
                                          Rhett Butler: Did you ever think of marrying just for fun?
                                          Scarlett: Marriage, fun? Fiddle-dee-dee. Fun for men you mean.
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: But you are a blockade runner.
                                          Rhett Butler: For profit, and profit only.
                                          Scarlett: Are you tryin' to tell me you don't believe in the cause?
                                          Rhett Butler: I believe in Rhett Butler, he's the only cause I know.
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: [to Ashley] Dreams, dreams always dreams with you, never common sense.
                                          * * *
                                          Rhett Butler: Don't give yourself airs, Scarlett.
                                          * * *
                                          Melanie Hamilton: Whatever happens, I'll love you just as I do now until I die.
                                          * * *
                                          Carreen: I guess things like hands and ladies don't matter so much anymore.
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: You low-down, cowardly, nasty thing you! They were right! Everybody was right! You - You aren't a gentleman.
                                          Rhett Butler: A minor point at such a moment. Here, if anyone lays a hand on that Nag shoot him but don't make a mistake and shoot the Nag.
                                          Scarlett: Go on! I want you to go! I hope a cannonball lands slap on you! I hope your blown into a million pieces! I...
                                          Rhett Butler: Nevermind the rest. I follow your general idea. And when I'm dead on the altar of my country I hope your conscience hurts you. Goodbye, Scarlett.
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: Now I didn't come to talk silliness about me, Rhett. I came 'cause I was so miserable at the thought of you in trouble. Oh, I know I was mad at you the night you left me on the road to Tara, and I still haven't forgiven you!
                                          Rhett Butler: Oh, Scarlett! Don't say that!
                                          Scarlett: Well I must admit I might not be alive now, only for you. And when I think of myself with everything I could possibly hope for, and not a care in the world... And you here in this horrid jail... and not even a human jail, Rhett, a horse jail!
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: Oh Ashley, Ashley, I love you.
                                          Ashley: Scarlett...
                                          Scarlett: I love you, I do.
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: Ooh, if I just wasn't a lady, WHAT wouldn't I tell that varmint.
                                          * * *
                                          Melanie Hamilton: So, you've got my husband intoxicated again, Captain Butler. Well, bring him in!
                                          Tom - Yankee Captain: I'm sorry, Mrs. Wilkes. Your husband's under arrest.
                                          Melanie Hamilton: If you arrest all the men who get intoxicated in Atlanta, you must have a good many Yankees in jail, Captain. Bring him in, Captain Butler, if you can walk yourself.
                                          * * *
                                          Tom - Yankee Captain: Don't touch him. He's under arrest!
                                          Rhett Butler: Now, Tom! What do you want to arrest him for? I've seen him drunker! I've seen you drunker! And you've seen me...
                                          Tom - Yankee Captain: He can lie in the gutter for all I care! I'm not a policeman.
                                          * * *
                                          Scarlett: Why don't you just say it, you coward? You're afraid to marry me. You'd rather live with that silly little fool who can't open her mouth except to say, "yes" and "no" and raise a passle of mealy-mouthed brats just like her!
                                          Ashley: You mustn't say things like that about Melanie.
                                          Scarlett: Who are you to tell me I mustn't! You led me on! You made me believe you wanted to marry me!
                                          Ashley: Now, Scarlett be fair. I never at any time...
                                          Scarlett: You did! It's true! You did! I'll hate till I die! I can't think of anything bad enough to call you!
                                          [she slaps him]
                                          * * *
                                          Rhett Butler: You can come to my hanging and I'll remember you in my will.
                                          Scarlett: The only thing I'm afraid of is they won't hang you in time to pay the taxes on Tara!
                                          * * *
                                          Ashley: [to Scarlet] I never want you to be anything but completely happy.
                                          * * *
                                          Rhett Butler: The right moment everyday.
                                          Scarlett: You're a conceited, black heated vulture and I don't know I let you come in and see me.
                                          Rhett Butler: I'll tell you why, Scarlett. The war can't last much longer.
                                          Scarlett: Really, Rhett. Why?
                                          Rhett Butler: There's a little battle going on right now.
                                          * * *
                                          You may see the trailer here.


                                          Plot: 9/10
                                          Entertainment: 10/10
                                          Acting: 9/10
                                          Originality: 8/10
                                          Music and Sound: 8/10

                                          9/10

                                          No comments:

                                          Post a Comment