Friday, May 1, 2015

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)


"You can erase someone from your mind. Getting them out of your heart is another story."


Directed by Michel Gondry
Produced by Steve Golin, Anthony Bregman
Screenplay by Charlie Kaufman
Story by Charlie Kaufman, Michel Gondry, Pierre Bismuth
Starring: Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood, Tom Wilkinson
Music by Jon Brion
Cinematography: Ellen Kuras
Edited by Valdís Óskarsdóttir
Production company: Anonymous Content, This is That
Distributed by Focus Features
Release date: 19 March 2004
Running time: 108 minutes
Country: United States
Budget: $20 million
Box office: $72.3 million

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" is a romantic sci-fi drama film directed by Michel Gondry and written by Charlie Kaufman. The story is about a couple who decides to erase each other from their memories after their bad relationship. But is it a right decision?


Cast
  • Jim Carrey as Joel Barish
  • Ryan Whitney as young Joel
  • Kate Winslet as Clementine Kruczynski
  • Lola Daehler as young Clementine
  • Kirsten Dunst as Mary Svevo
  • Mark Ruffalo as Stan Fink
  • Elijah Wood as Patrick
  • Tom Wilkinson as Howard Mierzwiak
  • Jane Adams as Carrie Eakin
  • David Cross as Rob Eakin
  • Deirdre O'Connell as Hollis Mierzwiak
  • Thomas Jay Ryan as Frank
  • Debbon Ayer as Joel's mother


Michel Gondry is known to me for his works like "The Green Hornet" and "Mood Indigo". But his "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" turned out more expressive - personally for me. An interesting theme that uncovers a human nature and a power of real love in an unusual way. The role of Joel is one of few not comedy role in Jim Carrey's filmography - so the film is a must-see at least for this. Kate Winslet's Clementine almost totally differ from her Rose ("Titanic") - a little crazy and blue-haired (sometimes it also can be red and green) woman. As for other actors, performances of Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood and Kirtsen Dunst are pretty good however not outstanding.


Advantages
  • Jim Carrey as Joel Barish
  • Kate Winslet as Clementine Kruczynski
  • Kirsten Dunst as Mary Svevo
  • Mark Ruffalo as Stan Fink
  • The interesting idea

Disadvantages
  • A little slow moving

"Strangenesses"
  • Why firstly they want to erase memories but then don't?

Clue Moments
  • Coming back to childhood


How often we want to forget someone who has hurt us? A quarrel or an offence may create different negative emotions because of which we get this wish. But if it comes true, what will people feel? Joel gets the chance to experience it and comes across obstacles to leave behind his cherished memory of his love. There are two reasons: firstly, he's probably used to Clementine that sounds too simple; and secondly, he just adores this whimsical woman who loves him back. And does this wonderful and sincere relationship deserve to be forgotten?


Soundtracks
  1. Jon Brion - Theme
  2. Electric Light Orchestra - Mr. Blue Sky
  3. Jon Brion - Collecting Things
  4. The Polyphonic Spree - Light & Day
  5. Jon Brion - Bookstore
  6. The Polyphonic Spree - It's the Sun
  7. Lata Mangeshkar - Wada Na Tod
  8. Jon Brion - Showtime
  9. Beck - Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometimes
  10. Jon Brion - Sidewalk Flight
  11. Don Nelson - Some Kinda Shuffle
  12. Jon Brion - Howard Makes It All Go Away
  13. Willowz - Something
  14. Jon Brion - Postcard
  15. Willowz - Wonder
  16. Jon Brion - Peer Pressure
  17. Jon Brion - A Dream Upon Waking
  18. Jon Brion - Strings That Tie to You
  19. Jon Brion - Phone Call
  20. Don Nelson - Nola's Bounce
  21. Jon Brion - Down the Drain
  22. Jon Brion - Row
  23. Jon Brion - Drive In
  24. Jon Brion - Main Title
  25. Jon Brion - Spotless Mind
  26. Jon Brion - Elephant Parade



Quotations
* * *
Joel: Why do I fall in love with every woman I see who shows me the least bit of attention?
* * *
Joel: Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating.
* * *
Clementine: Joely?
Joel: Yeah Tangerine?
Clementine: Am I ugly?
Joel: Uh-uh.
Clementine: When I was a kid, I thought I was. I can't believe I'm crying already. Sometimes I think people don't understand how lonely it is to be a kid, like you don't matter. So, I'm eight, and I have these toys, these dolls. My favorite is this ugly girl doll who I call Clementine, and I keep yelling at her, "You can't be ugly! Be pretty!" It's weird, like if I can transform her, I would magically change, too.
Joel: You're pretty.
Clementine: Joely, don't ever leave me.
Joel: You're pretty... you're pretty... pretty...
* * *
Mary: Adults are, like, this mess of sadness and phobias.
* * *
Joel: Sand is overrated. It's just tiny, little rocks.
* * *
Joel: I could die right now, Clem. I'm just... happy. I've never felt that before. I'm just exactly where I want to be.
* * *
Clementine: Sometimes I don't think people realize how lonely it is to be a kid. Like... you don't matter.
* * *
Clementine: What took you so long?
Joel: I just walked in.
Clementine: Do you miss me?
Joel: Oddly enough, I do!
Clementine: You said "I do" - I guess that means we're married!
Joel: I guess so!
* * *
Clementine: You know me, I'm impulsive.
Joel: That's what I love about you.
* * *
Clementine: You don't tell me things, Joel. I'm an open book. I tell you everything... every damn embarrassing thing. You don't trust me.
Joel: Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating.
Clementine: I don't do that. I want to know you. I don't constantly talk! Jesus! People have to share things, Joel...
Joel: Mmmhhmmm...
* * *
Joel: I don't know. What if it breaks?
Clementine: What if? Do you really care right now?
* * *
Carrie: She decided to erase you almost as a lark.
* * *
Howard: You want to empty your home, you want to empty your life, of Clementine.
* * *
Joel: I'm so ashamed.
Clementine: It's okay, you're a little kid.
* * *
Frank: The only Valentine's Day cards I get are from my mother. How pathetic is that?
* * *
Clementine: You're really nice... God, I have to stop saying that!
* * *
You may see the trailer here.


Plot: 8/10
Entertainment: 8/10
Acting: 8/10
Originality: 9/10
Music and Sound: 6/10

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment