Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)


 "We are infinite"


Directed by Stephen Chbosky
Produced by Lianne Halfon, Russell Smith, John Malkovich
Screenplay by Stephen Chbosky
Based on "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky
Starring: Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, Ezra Miller
Music by Michael Brook
Cinematography: Andrew Dunn
Edited by Mary Jo Markey
Distributed by Summit Entertainment
Release dates: September 21, 2012 (United States)
Running time: 102 minutes
Country: United States



"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is an drama romance coming-of-age film written and directed by Stephen Chbosky. The story is about a 15-years teenager Charlie, who becomes a freshman in the high school. He's shy, he hasn't got any friends but has some mental problems from his childhood. So Charlie begins to write letters to an understanding stranger, telling about his thoughts, ideas and feelings. But everything changes, when he has met with Patrick and Sam.


Cast
  • Logan Lerman as Charlie Kelmeckis
  • Emma Watson as Sam
  • Ezra Miller as Patrick
  • Mae Whitman as Mary Elizabeth
  • Paul Rudd as Mr. Anderson, Charlie's English teacher
  • Nina Dobrev as Candace Kelmeckis, Charlie's sister
  • Johnny Simmons as Brad
  • Erin Wilhelmi as Alice
  • Adam Hagenbuch as Bob
  • Kate Walsh as Mrs. Kelmeckis
  • Dylan McDermott as Mr. Kelmeckis
  • Melanie Lynskey as Aunt Helen
  • Joan Cusack as Dr. Burton
  • Zane Holtz as Chris Kelmeckis, Charlie's older brother
  • Reece Thompson as Craig, Sam's college boyfriend
  • Nicholas Braun as Ponytail Derek, Candace's boyfriend
  • Landon Pigg as Peter
  • Tom Savini as Mr. Callahan
  • Julia Garner as Susan

Stephen Chbosky is both the author of the book "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" and the director of the same film. In my opinion, the movie looks like a cutting of main events of the novel and not a really successful one. After the screening of the film I've got a feeling that something stayed obscure. But then I've read the book and everything falls into place. The story is about a teenager Charlie who becomes from a shy boy to a confident youth. Frankly speaking, it reminds "The Catcher in the Rye" of J. D. Salinger which has inspired Stephen Chbosky.

As for the cast, it's marvellous. First of all, I discovered a new young actor, Logan Lerman. I think Charlie is a quite difficult character, but Logan coped with his task perfectly. So I can't omit Ezra Miller as eccentric Patrick and Emma Watson as muzzy Sam. If Emma hasn't surprised me, Ezra has played his role very well.

The disadvantage is only one. This movie is ambivalent: some people will love it, others won't understand it. As usual. But all in all, I recommend to watch this film.


Advantages
  • Stephen Chbosky
  • Logan Lerman as Charlie Kelmeckis
  • Emma Watson as Sam
  • Ezra Miller as Patrick
  • The good screen version of my favourite book
  • Music
  • Story

Disadvantages
  • Characters aren't very well interpreted

"Strangenesses"
  • A viewer can only guess what happened between Charlie and his aunt
Clue Moments
  • The tunnel
  • Charlie's fit


This film elucidates the most important things which can happen to any teenager. Problems are almost everywhere: at home, at school, in a head. And each of us should cope with them by oneself. Everyone goes through building relationships, making friends and falling in love. But if you're a meek person, everything gets harder. So it's really important for everyone to become a good person. I mean a confident, purposeful one with a strong character. I'm sure that these traits will help anyone in future.

Moreover, becoming be one's own self is difficult.The public mind often dictates how to behave and censures someone who differs from others. I believe that a person should be brave enough to hear oneself but not the public opinion. But within reasonable limits as the golden mean is always important. All in all, this becoming can be hard, however it's worth a happy life at peace with oneself.


Soundtracks
  1. The Samples - Could It Be Another Change
  2. Dexys Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen
  3. Galaxie 500 - Tugboat
  4. New Order -Temptation
  5. The Innocence Mission - Evensong
  6. The Smiths - Asleep
  7. Cracker - Low
  8. Sonic Youth - Teenage Riot
  9. XTC - Dear God
  10. Cocteau Twins - Pearly-Dewdrops' Drops
  11. Michael Brook - Charlie's Last Letter
  12. David Bowie - Heroes


Quotations
* * *
Charlie: My doctor said we can't choose where we come from but we can choose where we go from there. I know it's not all the answers but it was enough to start putting these pieces together.
* * *
Patrick: Hey, everyone! Every body! Everyone, raise your glasses to Charlie.
Charlie: What did I do?
Patrick: You didn't do anything. We just want to toast to our new friend. You see things and you understand. You're a wallflower.
* * *
Sam: Welcome to the island of misfit toys. 
Patrick: (mimicking his shop teacher) The prick punch is not a toy! I learned that back in 'Nam in '68. 'Callahan,' Sergeant said, 'you put down that prick punch and go kill some gooks!' And you know what happened? That prick punch killed my best friend in a Saigon wh*re house.
Mr. Callahan: I heard you were going to be in my class. Are you proud to be a senior having to take freshman shop, Patty-Cakes?
Patrick: Look, my name is Patrick. Either you call me Patrick or you call me nothing.
Mr. Callahan: Okay, Nothing.
* * *
Charlie: Mr. Anderson? Can I ask you something?
Bill: Yeah.
Charlie: Why do nice people choose the wrong people to date?
Bill: Are we talking about anyone specific?
(Charlie nods)
Bill: Well, we accept the love we think we deserve.
Charlie: Can we make them know that they deserve more?
Bill: We can try. 
* * *
Charlie: I don't know if I will have the time to write anymore letters because I might be too busy trying to participate. So if this does end up being the last letter I just want you to know that I was in a bad place before I started high school and you helped me. Even if you didn't know what I was talking about or know someone who has gone through it, you made me not feel alone. Because I know there are people who say all these things don't happen. And there are people who forget what it's like to be 16 when they turn 17. I know these will all be stories someday. And our pictures will become old photographs. We'll all become somebody's mom or dad. But right now these moments are not stories. This is happening, I am here and I am looking at her. And she is so beautiful. I can see it. This one moment when you know you're not a sad story. You are alive, and you stand up and see the lights on the buildings and everything that makes you wonder. And you're listening to that song and that drive with the people you love most in this world. And in this moment I swear, we are infinite.
* * *
You may see the trailer here.


Plot: 8/10
Entertainment: 8/10
Acting: 8/10
Originality: 7/10
Music and Sound: 8/10

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment